Monday, May 29, 2023

Home base, Belmont, NC

  Car of the day:   The 1905 Cuppel a full 8 HP


So for today:

When you see a Person standing on the corner holding a sign: “Homeless, Hungry, Anything will be appreciated! GOD BLESS”…   …. So what goes thru your mind?

…………

Me? First: Hey dude you are young enough to hold down a full-time job, Plenty of jobs out there! I honestly ignore most of them.

 I have had ‘an urge (or a feeling)’ at times, and have given from $1 to $20 to someone with a sign.

 

 I am sure there are reasons for some, but methinks usually they cannot handle the responsibilities that go with ‘real life’ or are ‘lazy.’ 

 

I have known some. One preferred to stand on the street and beg to working. Men who knew him when he worked full time as a mill hand said he was a very good worker on the job..

 

We are in North Carolina in our home base. We had a good trip until I-26 where we hit a 10 mile back up. Flashing sign said, “Incident at mile marker 140.”  We were sitting at mile marker 150.  45 minutes to go that 19 miles.

That threw us in Charlotte, NC at the 5 o’clock rush hour and cars bumper to bumper for about 5 miles.

But at least in the motor home we have water, food and a bathroom, ahhhhhhh.

More tomorrow..

Nite Shipslog

PS:  I am sure I have told this, but once in a long traffic jam someone in a car near us asked if they could use our bathroom. Knowing the feeling, We gladly said yes.

9 comments:

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Someone wanted to use your bathroom? Read this ... you are mentioned there ...

https://timeforreflections.blogspot.com/2018/06/the-long-trip-of-coffee.html

God bless.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Glad to hear you are safely home there in N. C. Hope whet ever brought you back is ok and not too bad.

Mevely317 said...

Thanks for letting us know y'all made it back to base safely!
I want to be a more charitable person, but there's so much duplicity out there. One of our local state representatives is championing a bill to see what can be done to curb the panhandlers -- or at least make their 'practice' safer for both them and motorists.

PS - Not going into details, but my beloved DIL was attacked and beaten by a homeless guy back in March because she refused to give him $5. Suffice to say, it's still going on, both criminal and medical.

Susan Kane said...

Just reading Mevely317 made me shiver. There are always so many people at the stop lights, etc. We give only when we can tell they are truly homeless: missing teeth, unshaven, dirty, and their hands tell everything.

yaya said...

Home safe and sound even with all the traffic craziness! When I go to visit my sister in Chicago there are folks on every corner begging. Funny thing is I now recognize them since they are always there. The one lady I see the most has a sign that says she needs money and has a 16yr old child. I see her with the same sign every year. I'm sure that "kid" has gotten older by now! My niece..the police officer..says they get their money and then she finds them overdosed in the McDonald's bathroom and she has to revive them so they can go out and do it all over again. Most of the ones I see out there are young. Get a job folks! I'm 70 and still working. I'm sure they can find something too.

Glenda said...

ummm yes, Yaya, Blessings sweet friend, warm hugs.




Glenda said...

Am just too tired, have an ear infection or earwax buildup that is holding me back. IT HAS ONLY BEEN TWO DAYS, BUT FEELS LIKE FOREVER; I AM SO HOPEFUL THAT THE DARNELL'S WILL REMEMBER ME IN PRAYER. LOVE FROM CHOBEE, AMEN


Susan Kane said...

Those are sadly all over the streets and stoplights. We walked by a woman with a sign like that. She was in horrible physical shape. We donated $5 and had to leave.

Lisa said...

I’m like you with the homeless people. Sometimes I grumble under my breath and sometimes I’m called to give a little. These people can not get regular jobs because they are so out of touch with social responsibilities and most can not pass a drug test. But then again, I think they could start by offering a car wash, lawn maintenance or simply give us a song and dance to earn a dollar.

Lisa