Sunday, May 14, 2023

Habits, addictions,,,,, What do you think?

 1964 Corvair.  Had one, We enjoyed it in GITMO


Change of subject for today!

 I am active on a Forum, some lay folk but mostly fundamental pastors. Have you ever had a habit you wanted to break, but just could not find the right time i.e. Smoking, weight loss, bad language, driving too fast, even a smart mouth. A Friend from a northern state posted this a few days ago.


                         Tough decisions!

What do you think ?

(Quote D.G.) I've been pastoring for a long time now, and have had some odd things show up in the offering pan. ……. This past Sunday was a first. We had a guy come in off the streets who was in a bad way and he openly admitted that he was, in his words, "a stone-cold junkie." After church, an usher called me aside and said, "You have to see this." This guy put a small vile of heroin and a baggie full of pills in the offering. I had to laugh, but you think about it, this guy gave what he had! The shame is that he left before the end of the service so I have no idea how to track him down

Darrel Da----- Ga---- pastor Garrret

My impression was The person was at a cross roads just did not know what to do.  I have been there with cigarettes.  I needed to quit and finally the time hit me and I did it. (Remember the joke (?) quitting cigarettes is easy, I quit 5 times a day)

I had a nephew, that was a champion in the boxing ring and got hooked on drugs. He spent most of his adult life in prison. He died young (43) but finally the time came a couple years before he died, he got straight, but he had ruined his health.

I know someone facing that just now.  I hope the time has come, it is getting late, but it is decision time.


Life can be mean as well as good. I do not scoff, laugh nor demean someone who is ‘hooked’ because I understand! One just does not simply STOP a habit or addiction, it takes support, prayers, strength and courage, even sometimes a LOT OF TEARS! And a MADE-UP MIND!’

 HOPE TO SEE YOU TOMORROW.. Thanks for stopping by the Shipslog.

Nite Shipslog

PS:

4 comments:

Susan Kane said...

Thank you for this telling of hardship and addiction. My son struggled with
alcohol and smoking. You are right---quitting 5 times a day.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Praying ... ... ...

God bless.

Mevely317 said...

Yep, I can relate to the one about smoking. Hardest thing I've ever done, especially since I wasn't in it for the right reasons.

Still praying!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I'm addicted to my cup of coffee every morning. I have never tried to give it up and have no desire to change that. But I did change my addition to donuts. I have been sugar free for over 2 months now. When it came to my health and whether I wanted to live or not. It was an easy choice.