Monday, May 22, 2023

News headlines brought back memories

 Cars of the day:

 

A cafe from the 50s

For today:

We are all special, we are unique. I am convinced that every life would make a movie if a good producer could get inside a head.  We have all had incidences whether common or super different that treated right would sell.

I just read a headline, “Mt. Etna Is Erupting;” Etna is the most active volcano in Europe. Located in Sicily. I remember and incident many years ago while stationed aboard the USS Independence, an aircraft carrier, we had a crew at the time of about 5000.

Announcements are passed over speakers thru-out the ship up until 2200 (10PM) daily. Not a peep after, unless it is an emergency. So imagine our surprise once in the Mediterranean Sea around midnight there is a few bells over the speakers meaning 'listen.' “This is the Captain, We cleared the straits of Messina an hour ago. Now if you want to see a once in a lifetime show report to the flight deck and look Starboard. Mt. Etna is erupting, That is all!” 

Most of us got dressed and headed up.  What a magnificent sight. Better than a movie, Etna belched fire into the air and RED lava rolled down the sides. The skipper slowed the ship so the entire crew would get a chance to see it.  Some things you do not forget.

 

No one I know can remember their whole life, but some things YOU cannot forget. I am sure mothers will never forget seeing her baby for the first time.

If you have received a traffic ticket, I bet you remember that. What about being thrown from a Horse? Or the HS football player who runs for a touchdown?

I will never forget my first haircut on Parris Island either, LOL.  I ain’t even going to mention Sherry’s giving me the first kiss. ;-O

What about you?

Nite Shipslog

PS: The Straits of Messina are the waters between Italy and Sicily.

 

3 comments:

Victor S E Moubarak said...

After an argument my wife came to me crawling on her hands and knees. I’ll never forget what she said to me. “Come out from under that bed, you coward.”

God bless.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Oh yes some memories can never be forgotten. I'll never forget the birth of my first baby for sure. I'll never forget the moon walk or the death of President Kennedy. Those memories are now a part of my life. How amazing that you got to see the volcano erupting ! You happened to be in the right place at the right time. I've only seen pictures of volcanos on TV. I'm glad I don't live near one. They are very powerful.

Mevely317 said...

What an incredible experience to see that volcano eruption! Wow.
Like Ma, there are certain moments cemented in my gray matter for all time. Silly, scary, sentimental ... it makes the thought of dementia all the more frightening.
Mem-ories are made of this. (You two sing along now!)