Sunday, May 21, 2023

Fishing for the right job!

  Today's Car

 

Many people's dream car, the '57 Corvette and NO FINS!

So for today:

Most folks reading this blog are past the age of looking for the right job. But I remember the search.

We met Junie and Betty at Lake Manatee in Florida. Junie was a fisherman, not unusual for Florida, but he netted fish and sold exclusively to Sea World in Florida. Food for their captive entertainers. He evidently was very good at his job because Florida’s public Video folks did an hour long special from his boat. I asked, “How do you just catch that certain special fish by the thousands?”





He said, “It is actually simple Jack, Fish live in schools, the only trick is knowing how to find this particular type’s school.”

He went on to explain he was fortunate, that somehow his instincts led him to the schools, I guess it is years of sailing the Gulf.

He smiled saying, I hope you know from experience, “loving a job sure makes it easy.”

He hit a cord. I think I have liked every job I have had. I cannot remember hating to see Monday come. I did have one job where I had a terrible boss. Not a bad person, but he felt that he must micromanage, he wanted to ‘run’ my job.

I have said it before, once I got into the building business, I loved it. Quitting time usually sneaked up on me, and I seldom dreaded Mondays.  I have known people who were miserable in their jobs, sorta made me sad.



Life is short, too short to live in misery.  I switched jobs, but most of the time I KNEW where I was going. I floundered one time. Not knowing which direction I was heading, well that just ain’t no fun. Unemployed with no prospects is miserable…

Nite Shipslog

PS:

4 comments:

Victor S E Moubarak said...

It is so fortunate to have a job that you enjoy. Also, to have a good team of workers working for you. I did not like the travelling very much. Long drives and leaving very early in the morning before the traffic build-up.

God bless.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

When you love what you do it is never really work. I guess you found that out. All I ever wanted to do was stay home and take care of my family and our home, but due to circumstances beyond my control I wound up having to work as a secretary to support my family. Monday's were always the hardest day of the week for me especially when I had a job that did payroll on Monday. But I was always thankful to have a job.

Mevely317 said...

You are only the second person I know who's said they loved their life's work. (The other is a retired minister.)
Me? I was blessed to have held two long-term jobs that I truly loved -- both boss and co-workers. Unfortunately, there were a few that, in a word, stunk. I seriously believe, choosing to walk away from the last one and coming here is what saved my mind. Not to sound dramatic, but there were times I could understand the mindset, 'going Postal.' Ugh.

yaya said...

I've enjoyed working as a surgical technologist and although it's stressful at times I was always happy to have that career. That's why after retiring I went back when they asked because of the shortage of workers. I may not do this next year as I'm playing it day by day. Physically it can be taxing and I would hate not to be able to pull my own weight as they say. I'm glad you enjoyed a job that brought you happiness as well as a way to support your family!