Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Hospitals

This is not our first experience with hospitals, they always sorta wear you out and drain you.  I cannot figure why, there is no work to it here.  Now taking care of a person at home is Work with the capitol W.

New Folder (2) 051

(Shir & Hubby Jim. Jim was taken care of at home by Shirl, Sherry & I helped some, mostly at the end and outside, they hade huge yards, to mow & trim)

Also humans are sneaky, when a patient is told not to eat certain things, they try to do just that.  Beg or coerce family and friends to bring them a Big Mac or a Whopper.

I seldom try to talk to John because I figure it just exasperates him not to be able to answer. Last night he looked so alert I did ask him how he felt, do you hurt etc? He looked at me and just shrugged.  His constant motions are for water.

Last night, just after we left, he had a set back. Yeah that desire for water caused him to get up (with 183 1/2  wires &  tubes connected), yep, he fell.

Doc said no damage as far as they can see, but it is a little set back.  We were hoping for rehab by tomorrow, now they want to observe him until Monday and make that that decision.

scanoldpic7 065scanoldpic7 066

(This is Sherry’s Mom & Dad, Susie passed fast (at 61), Wiley did not linger long in illness before he left us (83)

I know most folk who read this blog understand about hospitals and many are intimately familiar with them.

Scanoldpic8 049Scanoldpic8 033

(My mama, and one of my favorite pictures of MY SHERRY. When you are young, you cannot imagine caring for your seniors and loved ones, life is so spontaneous and care free. But This girl and Shirl took care of my mama for a couple years, both lovingly and sweet)

It is raining now, supposed to change to snow, SHOOOOT! Temps are above freezing now I hope they stay.  Oh good news, Security told me to run electric from a rest room that is 150 feet away. I have that run but of course it is just enough to keep the refer going and the batt. charged.  But that is much better than nothing.

Take care and thanks for coming by the log.

Nite
Shipslog

PS:

Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Oh a car, I about forgot

Scanoldpic8 001

Shirl’s Jim and his GEM, a little Isetta, 1955 made by BMW, He was proud of that little thing.

 

12 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I've had both the hospital run and the home care for loved ones at home and both are wearing and tearing on the soul more than the body I think. The thing is that it is out of the ordinary and beyond what we really would like to be doing, let alone the fact that we never want to see our family where they are ill and often in pain. I've come to love ordinary days. What a blessing they are!

BlueRidge Boomer said...

Hey...that little Isetta looks like one of those clown cars...!!!

Lindie said...

Looks like a Smart car now! I've had both the hospital and the home care of my mom. I am thankful I was the one to take care of her. Her last 3 weeks were in the hospital and I spent at least 12 hours a day with her. Urging her to sip water, eat ice cream and making her little treats at home in the evening to take to her the next day. She loved the spicy fresh tomato juice I made her. I felt so sorry for some of the old folks around her that had no one with them.

Jean said...

Sorry to hear about Johns set back. It's so hard to be around someone begging for water and they tell you not to give it to them the same thing happen with Grover he would get so upset with me. I did put a little on his lip lucky it didn't hurt him. I've been there and done that quite a few times the pass few years and it does cause a lot of stress, but I'm glad that I was able to do it. You and Sherry are the most caring two people that I know of. Hope things get better and you can get back to warmer weather. It's raining here in Alabama and for a while this morning we were under tornado warning. Take care.

Cher' Shots said...

Prayers continue - Happy for Johnny that he has such a wonderful support team - Glad you can keep your battery going - love the pictures.

I had to laugh at the pic of Jim and his Isetta. Reminded me of the saying - You should never be bigger than your refrigerator ... or in this case - your car!

'love & hugs from afar'

Fred Alton said...

So sad that Johnny had the set-back. Yes, we humans do tend to want what we are told we cannot have. I don't know any cure for that. Glad that security people are being nice to you. Just sorry they can't supply enough for your heat system to run. It's been rain, rain, rain here for the last couple of days. Mouse Creek was out of it's banks most of the day today but beginning to subside now. More rain tonight though.

Anonymous said...

Rain - liquide sunshine.


Please have you all a good Thursday

shirl72 said...

We have taken care of so many, but when I look
back I don't even think about the time spent.
8 months Jim, about 3 years mother many more
family members.

The Isetta had a sunroof and the steering
wheel came out when you open the door. The Door open up from the front. The motor was over the
right back wheel. It had an airplane motor.
Good little car one Jim's collections.

betty said...

sorry about the set back for John; hoping that he will be able to get transferred to rehab on the right timeline for him, not what the doctors want. I think that was nice that the security told you to get some electric from that restroom; that was a nice gesture for them to care for family members like this.

I think the most merciful thing we should sometimes pray for is a quick and painless passing, it is sad when illnesses are prolonged and it is exhaustive trying to figure out who will care for whom and how

hoping you all don't get too much more snow up there!! enough is enough is enough!

betty

Rose said...

This post was so sad that I cried. We hurt when our loved ones hurt. Life is too short.

Loved the photo of Jim with the Isetta. I never saw or heard of an Isetta before. Cool!

Prayers for you and your family during this difficult time.

Hugs, Rose

Paula said...

Sorry about the set-back and yes like everyone else I know and have been there. Hope Johnny does better now. The little car is cute and it looks like the owner must have had to fold his legs to fit in.

Jimmy's Journal said...

I hope that Johnny continues to improve. I've been through that hospital care routine and it's no piece of cake. Say hello to Sherry!

Jimmy