Saturday, June 29, 2019

Someone is gonna go thru your stuff!


Those cars of my youth (50’s)
 The 1956 Studebaker Power Hawk One of Shirl's collection.

Preface: I have loved your comments especially lately. Neat stuff! (Sorry I am late Evelyn!) ;-)
Now today:
Do you have a straw broom with a heavy wooden handle in your home?
Someone will go through your most personal belongings when you die. If you have any ‘naked selfies’ etc, better destroy them the day before you pass from this earth. I think folks must plan that, trouble is we don’t usually have the luxury of knowing the day we die. I know you are saying, “Are you crazy, I don’t do naked selfies!”

We have had to dispose of parents belongings and were never ‘shocked’ or surprised at what we came across. With my sister Shirl there have been no real surprises except some minor ‘personal’ medicines she would have preferred stayed unknown.


BUT the one thing we have found, she still had real ‘straw’ brooms and ‘whisk’ brooms it has been years since I have even seen one. LOL


She also had ‘security’ door ‘props’. That pole type thing by the broom is one of those props you put under the door knob to prevent home invasions. A good idea for a single person in a home. I do not think anyone could have broken in on my sister.

Shirl never mentioned the door props, but did tell me while she lived in Charlotte, after Jim’s death, that she piled things behind each exterior door to KNOW should someone try to force the door open.

That part made me sad, I had no idea she was that afraid in Charlotte. She always thanked Sherry and me for helping her leave Charlotte and furnish this place for her. WE continually reminded her she was paying for this ‘Condo’. Of course we all knew the price was less the going rate, but she was family!

We have a dear friend who told us her husband was always talking about not having any money. When he died she found a few thousand in his wallet. She said she grieved for a while but then had a ball spending the money! 

Nite Shipslog

3 comments:

betty said...

Shirl did what she had to do to feel safe when she was living there. Seems like she had a good system to do so and feel relatively comfortable. We went through so much when hubby's parents passed of personal things that it became so routine after a bit and nothing much of a shock. Just helped me to make sure I don't leave such things unattended as I age.

betty

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Having downsized a couple of years ago now, all my things were giving a thorough going through. And a lot of it was done by my kids. They even found the box filled with old love letters from DDH when he was in the service before we were married. Oh I did take a little teasing over those for sure.

I do have a real straw broom that sits on the porch. This time of year it sweeps away the spiderwebs that seem to be materialize over night . In the winter it sweeps away snow and in the fall, the leaves that accumulate right around the steps.

It's hot and steamy here in Ohio. Summer has definitely arrived! Happy Sunday to you both. Keep cool.

Mevely317 said...

Shirl's make-shift barricades sound like something I'd do!
Altho' your last paragraph made me chuckle, this is a sobering topic. Attending estate sales no longer creeps me out, but neither can I feel a little bad … legions of strangers traipsing through and fingering someone's 'stuff.'

PS - My parents kept a little whisk broom like this in their car. How meticulous they were; my mother would shudder to see the floorboards in my Camry.