Friday, July 11, 2014

Then and now….

LancasterJuly11 007

I enjoy coming to this part of the country. Some parts take me back.  I liked the stories of mama and dad talking about some tough times, plowing and planting using the mules, and times that they did not know were hard because they were in the same boat with thousands of others.
I remember an uncle who talked about hearing about a poor family that lived on the same road on which they lived, he learned it was his family Surprised smile.
The Amish (as a whole) are not poor by any measurement, but they do live and work in a world that matches life over 70-100 years ago.
LancasterJuly11 002

The farms in this area are impressive, but so are the farms in Ohio, Indiana and most states. It is just the fact that in this area you may happen by a field still being plowed by horse or mule.
LancasterJuly11 001

The Amish go to town and travel by buggy or wagon as most folk know.
LancasterJuly11 003
We were hoping that corn was already for the market and it is. They pull one of these trailers in and within an hour or less, it is empty.  Today they sold for 13 ears for $3.
LancasterJuly11 004
We also bought peaches and blue berries.
LancasterJuly11 005

We had another mission today, try to get tickets to see Moses. So we drove to Sight and Sound Theater where Moses is playing.
LancasterJuly11 010LancasterJuly11 011
Sherry as we head in to find out they are sold out for the next three weeks.

LancasterJuly11 013
Inside they have this 12’ likeness of Moses.
LancasterJuly11 014
When we first started passing thru Sight and sound was a small local production. Now it is huge and also big in Branson, MO.  The plays and stories are good even if one is not a believer.
The first play we saw in the big theater was Noah, and it was good. I had never seen a huge production, I was impressed,
Okay, Sherry lets me cook sometimes. She says, “You are good at that!” (She majored in psychology). I came home shucked two ears of corn, cut it off the cob and cooked it, to add to the left over veggie soup.  We had to eat some before adding it.
003
MMMM good.
002
I made a fruit bowl to snack on.  Then for dessert we had corn on the cob. Ever do it in the shucks in the microwave? Easy as pie and no silks. Four minutes per ear.
005006
My kind of dessert!
Thanks for coming this way.
Nite Shipslog
PS:
We will be tourists for two days then off.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
boss-car
I don’t know what it is, but I am sure it is one of the Big girl toys.

9 comments:

jack69 said...

Okay, I shucked two ears then skinned the cobs. hahaha

betty said...

Hubby was just telling about the method of cooking corn in the microwave yesterday; I had never heard of it; now I can confirm through you, Jack, that it does work and the corn is good. Looks mightly delicious with the fruit! That production of Moses I think would be worth seeing myself; must be for a lot of other people too if it is sold out for 3 weeks!

betty

shirl72 said...

I have prepared corn in the microwave and it is good. We
saw lots of the Amish when we
were in Maryland. They are very
interesting in their lifestyle.

The fruit bowls look good and
healthy. I am eating squash every
way it can be prepared..plants are
doing good. Grape tomatoes are
also growing good. I have really
have had good luck not knowing one thing gardening.

Saw Willie on news tonight he was still singing "ON THE ROAD AGAIN".

Paula said...

Sorry you didn't get the tickets you wanted. I cook my corn in a covered pyrex bowl with water and sugar. Have heard of your method but haven't tried it.

Unknown said...

The produce looks great. Neat way to cook the corn.

Chatty Crone said...

I have heard of doing corn that way - but never tried it - I think I will. I love fruit and veggie dinners - I wish the kids would eat more like that. And I am sorry that you couldn't get tickets....

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

We have lots of Amish farms not far from where I live. When we camped it was in the heart of Amish country here in Ohio. Just about an hour away. Those Amish are not poor at all. The farms are huge and you often see 2 or 3 homes on the same property as the families stick together to get the work done. Not a bad thing at all I'm thinking. Sorry your show was sold out but I imagine there are plenty of other tourist sights to see. Enjoy your time there.

Mevely317 said...

I'd not heard of (the production) Moses! Branson, you say? That would certainly be more do-able than Pennsylvania.

We'll definitely be trying that corn on the cob trick in the coming days!

TARYTERRE said...

Fruit bowl and corn look yummy. We have microwaved our corn too.