Saturday, September 5, 2015

Some walk alone, and hold their head up

My  Aunt Georgia was a tough lady who lost her sight. Before losing her sight, she had worked and lived thru the Great Depression as Uncle Oscar’s wife and the mother of a son and daughters. She lost son-Jimmy when he was 4 and I went to live with them for a few weeks, just after his death. I think I was supposed to fill in for Jimmy until the family could accept it, all I know is I went to live in Marietta. Georgia for awhile and was spoiled rotten. I loved uncle Oscar and Aunt Georgia.

My small memories of the stay was they lived in an apartment and worked in a plant that built airplanes for the war effort, WWII was still going on. Georgia was a tough lady before she lost her sight. I will talk about her tomorrow.

We had a friend who lost his sight. I felt sorry for him, he felt sorry for himself. He did depend a lot on those around him. He had a cousin who had lived in a family of what was called ‘handicapped.’ I cannot remember but I do remember her parents were deaf. I am thinking one was blind also, not sure.

That being no matter, it was her attitude. She had very little use for anyone who could not or would not try to live normal with a handicap.  She was born with all her senses. She remembered her mom and dad vividly.  I will never forget her story about the first grade. A tale she told about her speech. If you are familiar with the deaf who are not mute, their speech is different because they do not hear themselves. She had of course learned to speak listening to her mom and dad.

In the first grade the kids made fun of her, and she was determined to learn to speak normally and with the help of kin, who could hear and speak, she modified her pronunciations.  She is a great lady and tough.  She had this to say to her cousin, “You are just lazy, feel sorry for yourself,  people who can’t see learn to do for themselves.” It is my understanding he never changed, but she had NO sympathy. tough lady.

Thanks for coming this way.

Nite Shipslog

PS: I will continue tomorrow.

**********************************************************

Here are some 1971 Automobiles

71_Aston_martin_DB5_05_Scars_0871-DeTomaso-Pantera-DV-11-SJ_011971_Plymouth1971buickriviera1971MercuryCougar_01_7001971DodgePaceCar05Chevelle_ss_1971austin_healey__sprite_1971_1_lgwPorsche_911_Yellow,_1971viper-powered-1971-p_600x0w

4 comments:

betty said...

I liked her attitude and how she wanted to better her speaking and didn't look at life as feeling sorry for herself, but tried to do the best she could with what she had to work with. I look forward to reading more about Georgia.

betty

Mevely317 said...

What a grand lady! ... a survivor!
I've often thought, the loss of sight would be the worst sort of cross to bear. Then again, there's so many heroes who walk among us; we never know their crosses.

I, too, am looking forward to reading more!

Jackie said...

Can't imagine losing a child of four (or any age)....and I hold in highest esteem anyone who is as tough and resilient as your Aunt.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

There are many who are handicapped that more than make up for whatever is wrong with them. They do often put us to shame with their willingness to do more and better than the average person. It seems every time I start to feel sorry for myself I see someone else who's got it worse and that are doing a better job at life than I do. We could all learn a lot from them.