Thursday, September 28, 2017

A Going Away Party

(Historical photo)
Cary Grant donned a skirt in a 1947 radio broadcast to protest Catherine Hepburn wearing slacks)
Party (no protests)
Wednesday morning two of my girlfriends invited Shirl, Sherry and I to breakfast at BoJangles. Ann is 90 and Daisy 93. These ladies are ‘Master Bakers’ and at cake auctions, their cakes have sold for hundreds of dollars.

They brought a delicious pound cake. I did some small tasks for them in the past and they can’t seem to do enough for us. Ann’s daughter Brenda was there also. It is seldom you find a girl as sweet as their mama, but Brenda is.  I have said that so many times because if one knows these ladies, they know I am right.
(sorry this is last years photo, it is missing Brenda but it is the usual suspects, L-R Ann, Shirl, Daisy, Me and Sherry.) BUT I guess I actually forget how much I brag on Sherry’s mama Susie, and I forget Sherry is as sweet as her mama. So I thought for just a line or two I would correct that. Susie was sweet, a solid Character and frugal. I mentioned several times Susie managed their Cotton Mill income so as to build and pay for three house. I am amiss for realizing my girl has done the same and more. Sherry is the BEST.

Now back to our Going SOUTH Party. They made sure the cooks and cashiers got a piece of cake and anyone else in the café who wanted it got a piece.

Ann is a sweetie. Shirl has been a little down lately. Ann brought her a bear gift. When it’s had is squeezed the bear sings, I LOVE YOU!  Both Shirl and Ann cried a little. I think the rest of us teared up some also.

It does warm your heart to have friends that care and show it.  I would much rather buy their meal. These girls are closer to 4’ tall than 5’. But their actions in this town are 10’ tall.

 Nite Shipslog
These '25s were new when Daisy was born.

8 comments:

Paula said...

You just can't put a price on good friends like these. So glad you all had such a nice time visiting. They look so young and of course Sherry and Shirl always does. Okay Jack you look young too.

TARYTERRE said...

what a great bunch of gals. and you of course jack.

betty said...

Would love to have sampled a piece of cake made by the Master Bakers! What a feat to have a skill to make a cake that brought that much from an auction! Great to have friends like that; glad you enjoyed your time together before heading south!

betty

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I'm sure you both are going to be missed and it's was great of your friends to celebrate with a party and cake. I always think no party is complete with out cake! You are blessed for sure!

Lisa said...

What a sweet post! They look so precious in that photo. I would love to have a piece of that cake! Friends like these are the best.

working
Lisa

shirl72 said...

I am late to reply but we had a good time. Love every minute.

Mevely317 said...

I cannot seriously believe Ann and Daisy are 90 and 93! In fact, each of these pretty ladies' looks defy their ages. What's that in the North Carolina water supply, anyway? :)

Dar said...

So nice of the sweet YOUNG ladies to bake a special cake for your fare-thee-well party. Friends like that are diamonds in the rough just like you, your precious bride and sister Shirl. Treasures, every one of you.
love n' hugs from up north where it's supposed to freeze tonight. Bill covered the tomato plants with blankets. Safe travels.