Friday, September 8, 2017

Weather and worry

WHY?
Why are zero scores in tennis called 'love'?
So…..
I mentioned friend Robin was in the Dominican Republic during Irma’s time.  She is fine, she rode it out in the hotel.  They did change rooms so they would be away from the frontal impact. Problem is, she was supposed to be back to work I think and is not sure of a flight.
Now:
Weather, the top subject now.  As a builder one of the biggest challenges is to get the house out of the dirt. That means digging a ditch and pouring concrete in it.  Once that is done the masons come in and get the foundation of brick and block laid. The problem comes when you have a rainy period, during that time nothing can be done in the dirt. Thus the statement: ‘getting the house out of the dirt.’


During a period of threatening rain once I was talking to an old guy, Sticky’s oldest brother about my dilemma.  He said, “My daddy said just to go on like you want the weather to be, if God want’s it changed ain’t nothing you can do about it. Sometimes it is best just to go fishing.”

Great advice, but hard to follow.  WE tend to worry over things we have absolutely no control over. Now as you get older the things you ‘worry over’ change, but by then you know you are worrying for nothing. At my age I have finally learned, most things I have NO CONTROL over.

Most of us are familiar with the Serenity Prayer. I love the words to that. Shucks, even if you do not tend to lean toward the religious world, the words still FIT. I must have had 4-5 copies of that prayer or parts of it in my office. (On a cup, on a rock, a plaque and a note on the bulletin board).  I am one of those ignorant folk that think more is better. I have too many wrenches, too many shovels and too many hammers. I think my mind tells me I can do more work with 3 shovels than one, I don’t know. I have ten or fifteen pens and pencils right here, will that make me write better? NO! Shucks I have two emery boards and two finger nail clippers. I should have excellent nails.

Well that is enough about nothing. At least I ain’t thinking about bottled water! HA!

WHY LOVE?  BECAUSE
In France, where tennis became popular, the round zero on the scoreboard looked like an egg and was called
'l'oeuf,' which is French for 'the egg.' When tennis was introduced in the US, Americans (naturally), mispronounced it
'love.'


 Nite Shipslog

Oh yes, there was the poor man's T-bird.
The Mustang!

6 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

There is no sense in worrying I know - but maybe I don't have any sense! lol

betty said...

So true about worry and the things we worry about we have no control over them. I inherited worry and anxiety from my mom. I hope I don't pass it on (I'm thinking I'm not, son is pretty laid back about things). Weather is sure crazy globally plus throw in the earthquakes and the forest fires, etc. Maybe this is all to humble us more to get down on our knees and start praying more!

betty

Lisa said...

I try not to worry. My biggest worry is my daughter out on her own. They say mommas will worry about their kids u til they die. Im thinking thats true so I wont worry about it. When I start worrying about something, I will try to find something to keep me busy (Ive been crocheting like the dickens lately). I usually never worry about myself or the weather.

Have a geeat weekend
Lisa

Mevely317 said...

I used to (gently) chide my momma about her worrying....
But darned if I didn't inherit it!
"Fretter" is such a gentler word than Control Freak, don't you think? LOL.

That Serenity Prayer is a good one! Have you seen the (Unity) Prayer for Protection? (I try to remember and recite every morning on my drive.)

Dar said...

Worry can make a body sick so don't fret. God has us. He really does want just what Betty said...let's get down on our prayer bones and pray and pray hard.
love n' hugs from up north of all that mess down south. My prayers are with them all always. Especially for friends like yourselves.

TARYTERRE said...

i'm a worrier. wish i wasn't.