Friday, November 18, 2022

Ants and Aunts

  One of a kind:

  This is a 1952 SOCEMA- Gregoire

Followed by a 2022  version of the 1935 COOP

I got a good laugh when my friend BUDDY said he was sending me a picture of a 1935 COOP.  He is educated, I thought he had misspelled Coupe!  LOL  It is One of a kind!!!

Thanks Bud!!!!

For today, Aunt ( ant, ahnt ):

Aunt by most Southern White Folk I know use the same pronunciation, ‘ant.’ .  My Black friends ALWAYS pronounced it ‘ahnt’. Looking back I do not know why white folk didn’t do that. I remember very well Aunt Janie, Aunt Julia and Aunt Zedda (all pronounced ant).

But this is about the insect. I believe the ant is an industrious insect. I wondered if they slept, or do they sleep in shifts?  Because those suckers can haul much sand, one grain at a time. Have ants ever visited your home? 

Ant hills have always interested me. Being from the piedmont of NC the dirt is RED, therefore all ant hills were red or actually orange.


In Florida the color depends on the depth of the ant colony. On my local hikes I have noticed a lot of ant hills, you must respect their tenacity. Lawn mowers people stepping on their houses, they just come right back.. Of course I see many ‘hills’ as I walk here in the sunshine state.

Ok I had to look this up, the worker ant takes several 6 minute naps a day, but work around the clock. The Queen on the other hand sleeps 8 hours a day like most humans.

 This hill is new, it is black like our top sand here.

 

 

 The one above is deeper, some white and pink sand, plus they have a flower in their back yard. ;-)


Below is a nice multi colored sand, they have gone thru three layers. The color of the photo does not show the beauty in the color.

 

 I wondered about the next one. Did the queen ask for a paved court yard?

Did you  know there are actual 'ant keepers?'  I did not. I am not sure why, except to study them. I respect ants, they have important jobs in the environment, but 'ain't'  any of those jobs in our home or motor home. ;-)

Also There are ant hills up to 8' in height   ;-)

Smiling,  I know........ crazy subjects from this old man.

Love all y'all!  Thanks for stopping by, comment if you like!

   Nite Shipslog

PS:

4 comments:

NanaDiana said...

Those are fun facts. At school one of our kids had an ant farm in their classroom. It was amazing to watch the working.

Here in this part of the Midwest they pronounce Aunt Sally as UHnt...with the U in heavy usage. In PA we always said ANT (aunt). Funny how dialects change words. Here when you ask for a water fountain it is called a Bubbler. lol.

Hope you and Sherry have a wonderful weekend- Hugs- Diana

Mevely317 said...

Fun facts, for sure!
As a little girl, my father gave me an ant farm that provided hours of free entertainment. Yep, old Frank was spot on singing "High Hopes."

We get the orangey-red mounds here all the time, and I fret about our dogs accidentally stepping on them. Thankfully before they get out of hand Tom goes 'dusting' them. While in Port Charlotte, my mother had a dickens of a time with the fire ant population. Twice she had to be taken to the E.R. with bad reactions.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

At one time people could buy ant farms. It was a large plastic container which you filled with sand and added the ants to form a colony. You could see them working through the plastic.

God bless.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I'd prefer aunts over ants anytime. Those ants sure are pests when they get in my kitchen. It seems like they come back every Spring here. I spray them and they still come back. They may be good for our environment but not our homes.