Thursday, November 17, 2022

I met a dangerous character on the trail

  One of a kind:

The 1951 Studebaker Manna Ray

 
For today:

On today’s walk I was reminded of how Florida is a little different than other states, especially North Carolina. Contrary to normal thinking here in Florida a million dollar mansion can be a few doors down from a $30,000 trailer.

These are about a block from our group of trailers.


These folks built knowing the trailers were just up the road. In Florida that doesn't effect appraisals much. In North Carolina, it would!)


At the county park I like to walk in I had hoped to add to my post with the red hat and jacket. I found a fishing pole and I was going to add to the post. But found someone did not appreciate the humor and the hat and jacket had been removed. The hat was thrown behind but a Budweiser Lite can had been left behind.

I put the hat back on the post and hiked into the woods.


Oh well on into the park. Uh oh, about halfway on one trail I was brought to a halt. I talk to turtles, birds, rabbits and squirrels but yesterday was the first time I got to talk to a snake.

Coiled in the middle of the trail lay this Florida Cotton Mouth. Looking closer he didn't appear threatening. (Son Mark got the ID)  I talked to Mr Snake, “You should move off the trail but for now I‘m going to walk around you, so just ignore me.” He did.  When I came back 15 minutes later he had not moved much. With a LONG stick I encouraged him off, but it didn't help. He actually appeared to be biting himself. I wonder if he committed suicide? ;-O

So today I find the snake stiff, he is dead. I hung him in a tree..  When I was a kid I was told that caused rain when it was needed.  LOL

 At the start of my walk I put the red had back on a post. When I came back 30 minutes later it was in the park on a bench. The red hat is moving around…. Me ‘n someone is having fun…

   Nite Shipslog

PS:

5 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

Oh my gosh you were brave - we just found a brown snake in our pinestraw the other day and we were screaming - Kelly and I.
Love the hat moving.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

WOW ... very brave and courageous. The snake could have jumped out of fear and attacked you. Take care out there, Jack.

God bless.

Lisa said...

Great, now I will have bad dreams of snakes. You were brave to even walk around that snake. Very poisonous. By golly, I think he did commit suicide.
Keep the traveling hat going. This might be fun.

Lisa

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

So glad the snake was dead and you are safe. It could have been alive and things might have been much different. What fun with the red hat in the park, wonder where it will be next time you go. Keep enjoying your walks. We are staying inside and keeping warm here in Ohio.

Mevely317 said...

Too funny about the red hat! (Say, do I suspect there's another book there?)
Just looking at those images of the snake gives me the willies. Dead or not, they terrify me.
Please keep safe out there!