Friday, November 11, 2022

The walk after the storm

 One of a kind:

 The 1966 Ferrari


1931 KOV

 For today:

I walked the day of the hurricane when the winds got down to about 25mph with gusts to about 40mph

There is very little damage in our area when I walked the trail there were many small limbs, but across the canal I saw on huge Tree down. I did not have a clear shot of it but it brought up a big root ball. when she came down.

It appears to have fell on an RV

As I walk roads, I see some litter, bottles and cans thrown out. Bud Lite with the aluminum bottle shape is the top Beer litter’ers .  The soft drink offender winner is the Pepsi Cola cans.

Also Florida has its share of Cacti:



Speaking of cacti, the term ‘Florida Cracker’ comes from the Florida Cowboys that did not use ropes to herd cattle out of and thru the cactus, so they used bull whips. The whips seldom hit the cows, but cracked over them or behind them to keep them moving the direction needed. Those whips can be as loud as a gun blast. The cowboys were called Crackers first in the late 1800’s.

Believe it or not, Florida once had more ‘cattle’ than the rest of the USA combined..  Ponce D’leon brought cattle and horses over, I understand he deserted them (Not finding the fountain of youth) and headed to Cuba where he lived until he died.  The Cow Hunters (later Crackers) rounded them up for years to earn a living by selling them.

The Florida Rain Tree:

 

The flower is very unique, it is a closed three sided flower (?):

 


The road was covered with these after the high winds.

Many people do not keep their homes looking neat. But mostly some folk are just too busy.  Sitting about a mile up the road from us is our 'eye sore,' it has been this way and worse for months:

If I wanted to stay in this area, I would love to get it. It needs a lot of TLC!

Oh yeah, and even to an avid woods walker, some roots look like a snake at first glance. LOL

That is the walk after the storm.

    Nite Shipslog

PS:

10 comments:

NanaDiana said...

I am glad Nicole was not as strong as Ian. I hate to see homes fall into disrepair and it does happen...more in certain areas than in others. I hope that RV wasn't under the fallen tree but it does look like that happened.

Have a wonderful weekend, Jack. Hugs to Sherry. Diana

Mevely317 said...

Wow, that root does resemble a snake. I'd be looooong gone, but props to you for pausing to look a bit closer.

Ya, those tree root balls are something else. I've witnessed them before in the aftermath of tornadoes; that power never fails to amaze.
Unfortunately, there are people like your neighbor everywhere. Well, except HOA communities, I guess. No way I can wrap my mind around that level of indifference.

I never heard that about the origin of Florida crackers. 'Sure would have gotten it wrong in a game of trivia!

Have a super day!

Chatty Crone said...

I am glad that you are safe and did not get hit worse. That big ball on the EV is amazing.
I hate to see homes like that. I see them here too.
I did enjoy your story today - we are watching the Heartland tv series and it has that in it too.

Susie said...

Jack, The house with the junk...kind of reminds me of a couple places close by. The corker is, they have kids and teens. My mom never let us be lazy and have a nasty yard. I mean kids , that's free labor...where are the bosses. LOL Stay safe. Hold tight to your sweetie girl. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Victor S E Moubarak said...

I always learn something new from you. I did not know about the Florida Cracker.

Thankful that you are OK after the storm. Take care my friends and keep smiling.

God bless always.

Woody said...

Good Post, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE, GO NAVY !!!!

Sending down Prayers and love from the North Country, Gary and Anna Mae

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Interesting history lessons for us today. I didn't know about the cattle or the different trees you have. So thankful you didn't get worse damage than you did. We are cold and gloomy here this morning. I'm just glad to be staying inside where it is warm. Take care there and keep safe.

betty said...

That root did look like a snake. If I was walking there, I'd probably have to stop and make sure it didn't move! Glad there wasn't too much storm damage!

betty

Dar said...

Some of these late fall storms are the worse. I'm glad you and Sherry weathered it on the good side. We've had fallen trees like the root ball in our woods over the years. The uprooted hole they use make great dens for the bears, fox and bobcats in winter...I just looked out the deck window to see huge snowflakes falling. We already have a couple inches. Stay warm, safe and keep on walking.
loven'hugs from up north in our everchanging WI.

Lisa said...

I’m thinking the flower pod you are holding is from a “Golden Rain Tree”. Also called Chinese Lantern trees. But I could be wrong.

I would love to come live in Florida. I would not mind the storms. And and walks after the storms are always nice.

Love from up here
Lisa