Wednesday, November 16, 2022

Have you ever used a phone patch?

 One of a kind vehicle:

 

Up is a 1950 Crysler Camera Car, below is a blacked Caddy

(NOTE: I am having trouble. I am signed with Google but Google don't know it, LOL I am not able to comment on all blogs. I hope to have it fixed soon. If you know my problem add it with a comment, I also CANNOT GET TO MY E-MAILS!!!!!)

 For today:

I saw a ham radio antenna on my walk.  That brought back so many memories. One of my jobs in the USAF was with MARS (Military Affiliated Radio System)  It is a backup system for communications tying military and international ham radio operators in national emergencies. Replacing phones and internet if lost.

The process maybe a little odd, but it is simple. A soldier in Germany goes to the MARS station to call his wife at 333 777 9898. The radio operator locates Keesler AFB call sign and places a call "AFDDJ this is AfCCO" with a phone patch. Once the radio connection is made. The Keesler operator dials the given # and tells the person answering he has a phone patch, are they familiar? If no he explains, you have a call from Germany it is on the radio. He will speak first you will hear him but he cannot hear you until you hear him say ‘over’ then it will be your time to talk. Once you have responded just say over and he will come back to you.

It takes a few tries, every one laughs. There is no privacy, everyone in the room can hear both sides of the conversation.

There are lots of funny stories, One I remember on the USS Independence.  WE were at sea. My shipmate Daniel called his wife back in Norfolk.

Keep in mind we’re all in one compartment, about 8 guys can hear the entire conversation.  Hello honey, this is Danny ‘Over’.

“Where the hell are you? Are you drunk?”---pause--- (operator says m’am you must say over when you finish)  “OVER”

“Sweetheart we are at sea. I cannot tell you where, but I wanted to tell you I am okay.” OVER

“I bet you are. I know you cannot call from a D-- ship. You are drunk at some bar in Norfolk!”  “M’am you must say.. “I know, OVER”

“Honey honest I am on the ship at sea, I must get off other guys are wanting to call their wives. I love you.” OVER

“I will say this, whenever you get home you are going to get what for because you didn’t call from a phone booth instead of the bar.”…… --silence--…..  Operator:  She has hung up, we are ‘OUT’.

Needless to say Daniel took a lot of ribbing over the rest of the cruise.  He decided to just write…..

(MARS at West Point)

Fortunately with progress both ends can communicate without the radio ‘over and out’ protocol. Of course now with the internet most conversations are via cell phone.

NiteShipslog

PS:

5 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

My dear FIL was really into the ham radio! Good memory.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

oh my that story is hilarious ! Yes thankfully phone calls are now easy with a cell phone. I never used to call people long distance because it was too expensive. Now it doesn't cost anything more. Thankfully some things do change !!

Mevely317 said...

I read this to Tom and we both laughed so hard. I'd love to know 'the REST of the story' (as Paul Harvey used to say).

The only experience with HAM radio communications occurred back in 1960(?) when, shortly after my parents built a rental house in Punta Gorda, a hurricane hit the area. My dad knew someone at the lab who dabbled in HAM and we all trooped over to his house to see if he could find any details. I'm sure my mouth was agape!

Dar said...

LOL, this was a trip! The only thing I ever remember the ' over and out ' with was on CB's...something my x and I used to use to communicate with trucker friends on the road all the time. I know it's entirely different. The ham radios tho, were something my dad and twin were familiar with in their service days. Thanks for the memories. I know a phone call to the 'x' when our daughter was born, went to Germany and it cost over $30 bucks for a min. For today's technology improvements, I'm grateful.
loven'hugs to you and your lovely bride from our chilly, snow-covered North.

Lisa said...

For a while I could not comment but it somehow fixed itself while I was just clicking around.
I no longer get emails when someone comments on my post and that bother me. I have to log onto my blog each day to see my comments. I love reading them.

Lisa