Tuesday, November 29, 2022

SOS, chicken & soup

 One of a Kind:

 1956 Rolls Royce Fab1


NOTE: Ater al the news of Student debt lately I was glad to hear from Buddy & Vondale:

For today:

Sherry has not been feeling or sleeping well. I help when I can. We share the cooking & clean-up.  I volunteered to do the meals for Tuesday.

There are many meals & foods I never heard of until I left home for the military. I decided to do SOS for breakfast. The name used in all services is Same Old Slop. Well you probably know it is called ‘Sh-t On a Shingle.’



It is of course scrambled meat in gravy over toast. I really do like it. I prefer Hamburger meat, most military cooks use Sausage. I scrambled the HB with onions, mushrooms and some spices. I use Ms Dash of course, since I know NOTHING of herbs and spices.

I cheated on the gravy since I cannot remember how to make cream gravy from scratch like my sweetheart. I used two envelopes of gravy mix, one turkey the other country. (I used them because that is what I had. LOL).  It was good.

Supper: Boiled chicken was 8 pieces of chicken, 5 chic bouillon cubes and 6 cups of water. Chopped onion and some Ms Dash. No one knows but I cannot help but put some honey in the mix. I used the slow cooker for 5 hours. Oh, I forgot, I decided to use a can of cream of chic soup that has been hanging around here awhile. Towards the end I thickened it with some corn starch.

I did a pot of rice in the Micro.

Then opened a can of peas and threw in some leftover steamed veggies.

I emptied a jar of dill pickles and sliced a tomato in the bowl with them.  I wanted to get rid of the dills, the big jar took up room in the ice box.

We do only 2 meals a day.  Anyway Sherry seems to be doing better. I deboned the left over chicken

I am making chicken rice/noodle soup. For tomorrows supper. Yep, rice and noodles. Left over rice, peas and veggies went in and I boiled a left over half box of some kind of noodles and threw them in.

Not much going on here as you might guess.  LOL

 

Nite Shipslog

PS: Note, The red hat I had been playing with at the trail is missing. LOL This below is just for a smile!


8 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

Loved that car and I remember dressing exactly like that.
I hope Sheri feels better soon.
Man oh man you sure did a lot of cooking there!

Mevely317 said...

My dad's last meal was SOS. It sounds delicious; I'm not sure why I've never had that.
Say, I like the sound of your culinary inventions! (Well, except for the peas, lol.) Except for garlic, I too know little about herbs and spices. Mrs. Dash is great, but if you happen to see "17" on your store's shelves, I highly recommend that. When Tom was in the hospital that seasoning was on every tray, but I couldn't find it here; I wound up having to order it on Amazon.

That meme is hysterical!

Mevely317 said...

PS - I totally forgot to say, I'm lifting my prayers that Sherry feels better SOON.

Susie said...

OMG...yuck, I remember being so poor that I would make dried beef gravy like that on toast. My kids loved it. But when I think back, wasn't our lives so much simpler even during hard times? Jack, honestly I try not to even cook any more....just hate it. It may have something to do with my daughter's cat being here. It just grosses me out to open his little smelly packets of food. Plus I have some much stuff on the tables and counters to keep him from jumping on them....what a bother. I am so sorry to read you and your sweetheart are feeling well. All my blog friends are in my daily prayers..so you and Sherry are. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Susie said...

Sorry Jack that was to say, sorry you are not feeling well. Susie

Victor S E Moubarak said...

I am praying for Sherry, and for you, right now. Quick healing and recuperation.

God bless you both. Take care my friends.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I make my SOS with dried beef here. And I love sausage gravy and biscuits. Good thing you know how to cook. That's a big help to Sherry. Hope she is soon feeling better. Meanwhile rest is what she needs to heal.
You all take good care there ! None of us is getting any younger.

yaya said...

I've usually seen SOS made with chipped beef but I haven't made it myself. I remember having it as a kid and I liked it. Jack likes biscuits and sausage gravy but we hardly ever have it. You are taking good care of your gal and it's good to see that you're not afraid to jump in there and cook! I sure hope Sherry gets better soon and I'll send up some prayers and send you both hugs from Ohio!