Sunday, December 18, 2022

Beach or aboard

 One of a Kind:

The Hillbilly Hilton RV

                        For today:

Ok, I’m back to water.  I have always loved the ocean, whether aboard a boat/ship or on the sandy beach.  As I got older I did get tired of the sand that accumulated on everything and now I prefer viewing the ocean from the deck of a ship.

I first saw the vast Atlantic in 1946-7 time frame. I loved the view, sand and the smell. I truly enjoyed it for years.  Then I was assigned to USS Vermillion AKA 107 for an Atlantic/Mediterranean Cruise, I saw the beauty looking back at the shore. 

There is something about night on a deck in Mid Atlantic and seeing the lights of another ship on the horizon. There is a feeling of kinship; very hard to put into words. OH YES, and when you can see the ship’s bow cutting thru the blue water it is amazing.

I sat for hours watching flying fish dart off the bow spread.  Once or twice I actually got to see Dolphins as they appeared to scratch their back on the bow and shoot forward, some breaking thru the surface at their high speeds and spinning, putting on a show.

On clear nights you can see every star, the view from the desert comes close, but still not the brilliance of a sky at night on a ship’s weather deck.  When we can get alone on a cruise ship at night, I can still recall those nights in the USN.

I have mentioned it many times, since the beginning of sailing vessels until today, music is the mariners’ thrill. Whistling, bells, flutes, squeeze boxes, ukes and guitars.  There is something special about the sailor that has a guitar on a weather deck in the evenings, when day's work is done. Sailors gather round making requests. Songs remembered, thinking of girlfriends and family back home.

Since meeting Bro Gary and Sweet Anna Mae of NY (https://oldboomerwoodys.blogspot.com/. ) and learning he was a sailor and guitar player, I know he was the center of attention many evenings aboard his ship.

A 'little bit'  more elaborate, but entertaining all the same you get the idea! This taken from a movie.... Gary was probably not as showy as Kirk, but I bet a better guitar  player! LOL

NiteShipslog

PS:

4 comments:

Mevely317 said...

Well, I was never in the Armed Forces -- nor witnessed dolphins at play. BUT, I totally get what you're saying about seeing the lights of another ship on the horizon ... watching the stars. I love that so much.

If I had my life to do over, who knows? I might have become a career sailor ... even a pirate. LOL!

Chatty Crone said...

I like the water too - wish I lived closer to some! Would love to sit and then explore it.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Yes, the lights from another ship out at sea must be inspiring. Like Mevely, I'd be a pirate. A vegetarian pirate with a carrot on my shoulder.

God bless.

Glenda said...

Oh, my thank you for all these
great memories!!! Love from Chobee,
Glenda