Friday, December 16, 2022

More Water

 Today’s one of a kind:

 The GT40 by Ford '64-'69

Said to be the best Ford ever built

Some thoughts for today:

This subject of water came up because I learned something about my sweetheart I never knew, but should have realized.

After The USMC I joined the USAF and was sent to Biloxi, Mississippi for duty. I was assigned to the Crash-boat Section and stationed at Point Cadet. We rented an apartment for a few months, we met friends who had Mobile homes and moved them from base to base when they were transferred. After seeing the logic of that we bought a 32’x8’ trailer.

There was a cheap trailer park across a long bridge spanning Biloxi Bay to Ocean Springs, MS. It had a section bridge that turned to let the Shrimp Boats (larger crafts) pass thru. So at times we sat on the bridge as boats passed thru. I thought nothing about it, just a delay.   But it put me less than a mile to my posted duty. Nice for me.

Sherry told me later she had suffer panic attacks in Biloxi. She was also expecting our first child, so I thought maybe it was normal.

We did move to another trailer park on the Biloxi side long before we left Biloxi, and that relieved her some.

But the other day the subject of that Biloxi Bridge came up and she said she was terrified crossing that bridge afraid of the times she had to wait out on the bridge. She said the fear was a throwback to that near drowning incident at Carolina Beach. She suffered from Aquaphobia. It is sad what some of us husbands cannot see!

BUT she did overcome much of that fear. Her close friend Joan Doughton taught her to swim in Key West giving her the self-confidence she needed. She has been able to take cruises, go out on our boat in Key West, even spending the night out once.


My girl is one tough cookie, she suffered a lot. Trying not to worry me.  She still has a fear of flying: Aerophobia. She will fly, but is NOT comfortable.

I honestly think I have developed ‘Enochlophobia’ a fear of crowds.

Do you have any phobias?

NiteShipslog

PS:

3 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

I don't like heights much and I am a little OCD - does that count?

Mevely317 said...

I do believe your Sherry is one of the strongest women I've ever 'known' (sort of, lol). Strong enough, too, to share her fears.
Crowds? I loathe being in them -- witness 2,500+ of us all trying to leave the at the concert at the same time. But as far as phobias? Probably aerophobia for the same reasons you just mentioned. And the number 6, go figure.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Very brave of your Sherry to overcome her phobias. Many people have a variety of fears which cannot often be easily explained.

God bless you and yours, Jack.