Thursday, December 29, 2022

Small Towns along the AT, Surprises

 TWO of One of a Kind:

 

The logging truck conversion

the little house on the Truck

For today:

Buena Vista, Virginia, I heard that name when I was in Boot Camp. It was not pronounced as in Spanish but by the locals just as it is spelled; BUU-na VISta. Private Billy Morton (not his real name) was from there and while in training I learned his nick name at home was Pig! 

While Sherry and I were hiking in Virginia, we passed a local hiker and asked how far it was to Buena Vista? “You must be from there, no one pronounces it that way except the residents.” Anyway he gave us directions ; we needed some supplies so we went into town.

This is a fact about the good and bad aspects of a small town. I actually stopped a man on the street. “Pardon me sir, but I was in the Marines with a guy from here, do you know Billy Morton?” I asked.

Without batting an eye he answered, “You mean Pig? Just a minute I’ll give you his phone #.”

I called and we talked awhile.  We did not meet, it was just good to stop and talk to him for a few minutes.

I married Sherry and learned small town’s residents. At one time it would have been hard to mention a name in the small town of Belmont that Sherry did not know. Shucks she might have been kin to them.  LOL

I wish at times I had been stationary and lived my life in one place.  BUT we cannot change the past!

I read the Susan Kane’s blog ‘http://thecontemplativecat.blogspot.com/. I cannot comment on her blog anymore, but her mama seems like the average person in a small town, knowing everyone.

Are you a rambler, country, city or small town person?

NiteShipslog

PS:  I liked this!



4 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

How come you can't comment on her blog? That is sure interesting how everyone knows everyone in a small town. Can't say I have lived in a small town - but sometimes I go out and see people I know. That makes it feel home to me.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Our towns in the UK are very small, about one hundred yards long, and very close together. Often, the front of your car is in one town and the back end in another. We don't need to drive. We just get in the front, and get out of the back of the car and we're there.

God bless.

Mevely317 said...

What a charming story! I thought Los Alamos was small (pop 12,000 give or take) but never enjoyed that kind of familiarity.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Small towns are wonderful in my opinion. We are not a small town, but it's not a big city either. Halfway between, I'd say. I love that there is less traffic here and the neighbors are friendly. And it does seem as though people do know someone I know. Just the other day the guy that charged my battersaid he knew one of nieces. Glad you have some nice places to go to get supplies when you are on the trail. That is very important.