Tuesday, December 27, 2022

Snacks, or Night food

 Today’s one of a kind:

 A real Lego truck?  They say it is real, but looks fake to me. LOL


Some thoughts for today:

Since my childhood I have loved saltine crackers and milk. I preferred good cornbread and that was with white milk or butter milk.  BUT crackers were always with white milk. I am not sure how mama came up with butter milk, but I think it was the remains after she churned the milk for butter. My daddy preferred cornbread and butter milk

Of course there were days that cornbread and milk was our supper.  Not that there wasn’t anything else, it was just what mama and daddy preferred some evenings. We never had a cow, but bought from farmers by the gallon. Once we lived in town our milk was delivered a couple times a week in quart jars. The cream would rise and the neck of the milk was always yellow cream; mama saved the cream for coffee and to churn for butter.


The bottles had a round cardboard stopper.

In my early childhood up to 5 yrs old, mama used a wooden churn, using an up and down motion she churned until the butter was on the top. 

Then she skimmed it off and put it into mold, after it hardened, she turned them over and the ½ pound of butter had a pretty flower on top.


Later in town mama had a glass churn that she turned at the top and turned paddles. She could see the butter rise without lifting a lid.

But for my snacks? Nuts or popcorn, but nothing satisfies me like plain soda crackers and milk. I prefer to crush them in a glass and add milk, but I also eat them as now, typing this, one cracker then follow with a cool sip of milk.  LOL

There are other snacks, left overs, etc, but I prefer plain crackers and milk.

My Sweetheart prefers popcorn or a small dish of Ice cream. 

Do you have a favorite?

Nite Shipslog

PS:

7 comments:

Mevely317 said...

How interesting about the churn! The older I get, the more I appreciate my grandparent's 'get-r-done' philosophy.
Tom's the cracker lover in our house -- either saltines with chile or (more often) Ritz and Boursin cheese.

Come evening, I usually enjoy a hard cheese. But I LOVE popcorn with a little garlic salt.

yaya said...

My Jack loves a glass of buttermilk. His night food is usually cereal or maybe icecream but I try not to have icecream too often as I like it too much! I like graham crackers and milk. I'm not much of a night eater actually. If I hiked as much as you I might eat more!

Chatty Crone said...

Your mom churned her own butter. Amazing. I like a cookie I think. That car made me dizzy!

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Ahhh ... a trip down memory lane.

Mevely mentions Boursin. I wonder if you had an advert with the line: Du pain. Du vin. Et du Boursin.

It is now so expensive over here.

Have you tried crackers with genuine Stilton cheese? Not Gorgonzola or Roquefort or other "blue" cheeses. But real Stilton. With wine or port.

God bless.

Lisa said...

I love snacking on Ritz Crackers, but like Sherry, I prefer Popcorn or IceCream for a night snack.

Nite
Lisa

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Thanks to my grandparents farm, I know just how good fresh buttermilk tastes! Yum! I got a turn churning the butter every now and then. It's not an easy job. They made everything from scratch on the farm and even made their own cottage cheese. Nothing was ever wasted. We had baking soda biscuits not corn bread and they were delicious with homemade butter and honey from their own hives.

Woody said...

Crackers, little butter and Peanut Butter for a snack ! I like Salted Saltines, and Oyster Crackers for my Oyster Soup or New England Clam Chowder !
.
Wehave finally settled down on wointer, we only got 50.2 inches of Snow, now some sunshine today, Tomorrow RAIN! Oh Well, It's Weather, it will change. You 2 take care, sending down Love and Prayers from the North, Gary and Anna Mae