Thursday, November 20, 2008

It is the JOBS stupid!


It happened years ago. Jobs started leaving the good old USA. A sort of work ethic started failing. It was a combination of a desire for higher profits by manufacturers and a demand for higher wages by the workers. I have never belonged to a union, so I can only talk from an outsiders view. Since I never employed more than six men directly in my life, everything I know is on a very small scale. When I had employees I paid wages that would get the house built also produce me a profit. My profit margin was in the low teens (11-13%). Not one person working for me was informed enough to tell me what I could afford to pay them, so how could they DEMAND more pay?


I have at times tried to explain to a carpenter what my position was. If I lost on two houses in a row, then I would be in competition with him on the next job, looking for work. I have been there, working for the other guy until I could put together enough to buy another lot and try again. If I were to lose the ability to hire someone, they just went down the street and applied for another job. But I had to worry about losing my home and savings which were in trust for the construction loan on the house. In other words I was investing everything we owned and my time for my job, the carpenter (employee) was investing his time.

If my name was on the construction loan, I could not get disgusted and quit. When an employee gets a better offer he can walk off and loses nothing, for the owner it is a different story. Don’t get me wrong I am not crying you can earn more when you take more chances and they work out well.

When you see a real entrepreneur appear to fail, don’t gloat and say he/she bit off more than they could chew. No, it is furthering an education for that investor. They will be back. There are others who realize once they are the Boss, where the buck stops, that is not what they want. They will go back to being the employee and make a very good employee because they understand what the person is going through to write their paycheck. The other guy bides his time and when the opportunity is right he starts again. That is what makes America great.

Now, what we need in this country is JOBS. We need to build/make/create something. We need the far-sighted (WEALTHY) entrepreneur. WE need someone who can figure how to make steel at a reasonable price, someone who can figure out how to make a BUTTON, a shoe, plastic, aluminum, squeeze Oranges, spin yarn, make clothe, make carpet, a ship, make clothes, light bulbs, paper, etc.
If BMW, SATURN, TOYOTA etc can build a factory in this country and make a profit, why can’t GM & Ford? Is it tax breaks or wages? Some smart guy should be able to figure it out! If Obama brings jobs back, he has my apology for not trusting his policies. The Farmer and the Rancher have done and are doing his/her part, but they have worked their butts off to do it. WE AMERICANS do not mind work, if the unions demand too much, then management and union should talk, really talk (Most of the time it is like the DEms & Repl. They don’t want to talk unless they win).

Obama needs Ross Perot as his Sec. of Commerce!
NUFF
Nite Shipslog
PS
NUFF!

2 comments:

Paula said...

You always have an interesting point of view. Our new Toyota plant up the highway has been closed for a few months and just opened back up. One of John's renters got a job there and one day told them he needed off at two to go pick his wife up. He said they told him to go pick her up and not come back. Now he can't find a job and therefore is having trouble paying his rent.

betty said...

have to agree, we need jobs; we've sent too many out of here and we have also used computers to take over some jobs too; think customer service; think self-service checkouts; even saw where you could buy a movie ticket self-service; each one of those things used to employ a person; we're doing some of this ourselves

betty