Saturday, November 29, 2008

ORANGES ARE IN

This was a trip to Bardstown. This is where Stephen Foster wrote 'My Old Kentucky Home.' This was a most interesting visit and the Outside Musical is worth the trip.
This is us a few years ago picking Tomatoes. That bucket full cost $5.

This is us a few years ago in an Orange Grove.
Now Today's entry:


NOW, we can think about Christmas. My most favorite time of the year. This is when even I can sing along, as long as it is the old traditional carols. Like ‘I saw mama kissing Santa Claus’, lol just joking.

I cannot help it when I smell oranges and tangerines, I think of Christmas. When I was small at our churches we gave out what was called treats. Everyone attending church the Sunday before Christmas got a paper poke (bag) with a couple oranges, apples, a tangerine and some hard candy. I can’t remember getting oranges any other time of the year. I have always loved to peel mine and break the sections apart. I always ate seeds and all, I don’t know if there was seedless citrus then.
Anyway, the oranges are in, here in Florida. Yesterday we bought a half bushel of mixed oranges. Navels, Hamlins and tangelos the half bushel cost $5. Today at the flea market we found delicious seedless grapes for $1 a pound. We had Red Delicious apples at home along with fresh Georgia pecans.


So I couldn’t resist, I made a big fruit salad.
I cut the oranges into 8ths and hull them with my big knife, then squeeze then squeeze the rind with my hand to get the last of the juice. Apples are cut into about 16 pieces with the peel left on for health and looks. Dump a couple handfuls of pecan halves and grapes in. It is about half deep in orange juice because the oranges are so juicy, stir and voila! A delicious snack, and snack, and snack, and snack. I love fruit.


Have a great day

Thanks for coming this way. It is that time again in Northern NEW YORK!! If you have never seen Snow snorkeling click on Woody’s journal, his Honey got a picture of him on his first try this year. Of course the sport scares us here in Florida.

http://oldboomerwoodys.blogspot.com/

Nite Shipslog

PS:
Some of the artists of the 60's are revising their hits with new lyrics to accommodate aging baby boomers.
Marvin Gaye --- Heard It Through the Grape Nuts.


Leo Sayer --- Yo u Make Me Feel Like Napping.

The Temptations --- Papa's Got a Kidney Stone.


Tony Orlando --- Knock 3 Times On The Ceiling If You Hear Me Fall.

Helen Reddy --- I Am Woman, Hear Me Snore.

Leslie Gore--- It's My Procedure, and I'll Cry If I Want To.

And Last but NOT least :

Willie Nelson ---
On the Commode Again

9 comments:

Sandra said...

I love fruit also.... especially the beautiful big oranges we can get at this time of year.... I always liked a dish of bananas and oranges... leftover from childhood when we weren't feeling well.... your fruit bowl sounds delicious too.
Sandra

jun said...

Wow that fruit salad did sound good! I wish i was in florida now.I have only been to florida once , i dont count driving through .We stayed a hotel a short distance from disneyland when i was a teenager. there were lemon trees growing outside the back door.that was amazing to us. all we were used to seeing was various nut trees and scuppernons.
My mom hung our stockings up for christmas and it had tenagerines{my fav} oranges pecans still in the shell and a few cany canes.Also those mysterious hard candies that look better than they taste.She used to tell us that was ALL they got when she was a child.
thanks for the memories.now i know why i woke up craving a tangerine this morning! I had forgotten about those stockings! lol

Paula said...

Nothing like a good orange. One year we drove toward the valley and bought oranges at a stand on the side of the road. Then we stopped on the side of the road and ate our fill. Came home and gave a lot of them away.

Helen said...

I love fruit salad. Wish we could have citrus trees here, you bet we would have a few. Helen
http://madcobug-myeverydaylife2.blogspot.com/

shirl72 said...

Smelling oranges reminds me of Christmas. We
helped fill the bags for every one that attended
Church. What a fun time. The Kids miss so much
today.

Shirl

betty said...

great finds you found on that delicious fruit!! I bet that fruit salad did taste good! I remember at Christmas getting an orange, a great big navel one, in my stocking so oranges too for me are part of Christmas

loved the pictures; can't imaging that big bucket of tomatoes was $5.00!! amazing!

betty

Debbie said...

Your fruit salad sounds delicious! I have great memories of fruit at Christmas too! I also remember our great uncle coming back from Florida and bringing us some of those huge juicy oranges. I've never heard of Hamlins before. Enjoy your fruit, I've been enjoying some of the fruits of your labor, lol. It's great!
Debbie

Terri said...

Great entry...I always associate fruit with Christmas also...growing up and still today at my motherinlaws on Christmas morning...there is always a fruit basket ...I love fruit too...could eat it daily.

What a bargain the 5gal bucket of tomatoes...

Have a great night!

Hugs
Terri

Anonymous said...

I love Oranges...and hey...that pic of Bardstown...right in my back yard almost LOL..God Bless...hugs from Ora in KY