Saturday, November 15, 2008

Sherry the mean Landlordess!!

Once we all got to Gitmo the boys got into MotoCross racing and it became a big part of our lives. Upper pic is Mark flying.
#44 was Jack sliding around a turn. WE had a great time once Sherry took care of the Stateside problems , and came on down.

The boys on the Gitmo ferry headed for a race on Leeward Point.
Now today's entry:


I mentioned in an earlier post that when I went to Cuba, I left Sherry the job of evicting a tenant who was behind 8 months. (Now you understand why I could never be a land lord. Nobody in their right mind allows someone to get that far behind). I had orders to Guantanamo Bay, Sherry and the boys were not allowed to travel until I had housing and that would be three months minimum.




I left and Sherry called the Sheriff to have Mrs. Chambers evicted. She was a lady with children well known around town. She was most well know for going to the various grocery stores, allowing the cashier to ring up the groceries and bag them, and then say I left my purse in the car. I will push the groceries out to the car and bring the money right back in. Then of course she would drive off. She did this at the laundry also, and at gas stations.




Well Sherry’s sister lived just up the hill, when the sheriff came to move her stuff out, she said she was pregnant and they could not do that. The Sheriff said that is what you have said at everyplace I have evicted you from. Sherry was sitting on her sister’s porch and wearing sun glasses. Mrs. Chambers yelled at her and said, “Sit up there Mz. Hollywood all high and mighty, I’ll come up there and drag you up and down this road by your hair.” It scared Mark our son who was in second grade. But it did not scare Sherry, Lennie was right beside her, and Lennie was a rough and tumble kind of girl.




You notice I have used the woman’s name, nothing can defame her. Thirty years later her son Steve (a child at the time) engineered the Big Loomis Fargo robbery.




The Loomis Fargo Bank Robbery of 1997 was the $17.3 million cash robbery of the Charlotte, North Carolina regional office vault of Loomis Fargo and Company on the evening of October 4, 1997 by armored car driver and vault supervisor David Scott Ghantt. An FBI criminal investigation (which became international in scope) ultimately resulted in the arrest and conviction of eight people directly involved in the heist, as well as 16 others who had indirectly helped them, and the recovery of approximately 95% of the stolen money.




The boy was raised right, his mother was helping him laundry the money while they planned to Kill David Ghantt, to keep him from implicating them. So Mrs. Chambers was convicted also and spent some time inside. So her life went. They called it the ‘Hill Billy Heist’. It is the third largest robbery in the USA.




When caught by the FBI, Steve true to form, turned state’s evidence and ratted out all his gang of employees. He was released from prison in 2006.
That is kind of folks I left my wife to evict.
WOW. But my girl did it.




Thanks for reading




Nite Shipslog




PS:
Some of the artists of the 60's are revising their hits with new lyrics to accommodate aging baby boomers.






Roberta Flack--- The First Time Ever I Forgot Your Face.






Johnny Nash --- I Can't See Clearly Now.






Paul Simon--- Fifty Ways to Lose Your Liver






The Commodores --- Once, Twice, Three Times to the Bathroom.

7 comments:

Debbie said...

Way to go Sherry!!! Gosh, that sounds scary. I guess that woman got by with it so long by intimidating folks making threats against them. I'm glad they were able to recover most of the money from the robbery.
Debbie

Paula said...

Oh my goodness and I thought south Texas renters are bad. A boat in the stock tank is nothing compared to this. Wow that Mrs. Chambers had it all down pat, didn't she? You left a good woman in charge.

Anonymous said...

I handle a lot of foreclosures in my area for various banks. The banks make it a little easier by offering cash for keys. If the occupants leave voluntarily and leave a house empty and clean they get a nice check. Makes it a little easier. Otherwise it can take months to get rid of them. (by the way, I have been mostly reading the past 24 hours and just love the book!!) Lindie

Anonymous said...

It want let me post. Tried 5 times and comments kept getting small.

Shirl

betty said...

oh my gosh!!!! what a story!! what a gal Sherry is!!!!!

betty

Woody said...

Hard time trying to make a post, only way I can post is from an email:::

Like my Honey says... "Women's work is never done".

Woody

Can't stay long, reading "Sticky"!!
can't put it down!!!!

jun said...

hey Jack! sounds like the makings of another book!!!{hint} Bravo Sherry!
I sent my son out in the dark cold night to fetch sticky from the mail box. I stayed up all night and read it straight through. a fascinating read from cover to cover. this reader had one complaint too much mention of a certain cook! lol the greatest part for me was being an insider as to who Sherry and Shirl and Jack and Matt and Luke and Reece and even Elsie were named in honor of!!! wish I had an exotic name so you could have named Maria after me.I really identified with her.lol BUT i saw a bit of my influence on you by naming the Bigmama and the mama, am I right? send me the link to amazon so i can write a comment for Sticky.people need to read this book, if not they are missing a GEM. In my opinion you are the next great american writer, bout time we had another one of those! love y'all , jun