Sunday, November 23, 2008

A philosophy of Life

Sunday is a special day in the Christian world. I do not know about the other religions. I know that it was set up for the Jewish People and transferred or passed on to the Christians. I don’t know who, over the centuries, has kept up with ‘The first day of the Week’ or if we actually know for sure. I do not think it makes a lot of difference, just so you allow for a day set aside for your Religious observance.

The same goes for Jesus’s Birthday being the 25th of December. Was there a December when He was Born? I try not to ARGUE politics or religion. I don’t mind stating my position, but I will not ARGUE the point.

WE all are different. We all have differing views of the world, society, religion and politics. If we are talking and you are interested in my views on politics and religion I will gladly tell you. If you ask to know more I will not hesitate to go deeper, but to try to convince someone I am right when they do not think so, NO WAY!
In all my years of living I have really learned two philosophical things that are prominent in my mind:

“HE WHO IS CONVINCED AGAINST HIS WILL, THINKS THE SAME THING STILL.” (attributed to Abraham Lincoln)
AND

NO MATTER HOW IT APPEARS, THINGS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE!”
(I heard that in a church class, Judy Cloninger was repeating what a teacher taught her, Judy passed away this year.)

The first statement has saved me a lot of arguments and wasted breath, and the second has gotten Sherry and me through some of the darkest and roughest times of our lives.

If you can keep in mind it is great to be alive. It is wonderful to Love and/or be loved, you can accept the changes, I say accept, because most of the major changes in our lives we have NO CONTROL over.

Accept the cycle of this life. Mom & Dad will not always be here. Husband or Wife will not be here always. Life goes on and we cannot forget them. We should not.

Autumn/Winter marriages are very seldom perfect, but Our Sister Kat was so strait forward you had to love her. She married Elmer, both had lost wonderful mates. Over the period of their short marriage (Kat died), they were honest with each other. Kat had a way about her, it was impossible to be mad with my sister Kat.
Kat had been married (50+yrs) to Dick, Elmer had been married to Lennie(50+yrs). Kat said she once asked Elmer , “Do you miss Lennie so much sometime you can hardly stand it?”
Elmer answered with tears in his eyes, “YES”.
She said, “I miss Dick like that too!”

They were able to cry in each other’s arms.

That cannot happen in most cases. Jealousy, even of memories, still exists in some of us who are OLD, and you will not change it! I think most folks know better than to try, and leave well enough alone.

Nite Shipslog
PS:
WHAT IS A GRANDPARENT? (Taken from papers written by a class of 8-year-olds)

Grandparents are a lady and a man who have no little children of their own. They like other people's.

A grandfather is a man & a grandmother is a lady!

Grandparents don't have to do anything except be there when we come to see them.

They are so old they shouldn't play hard or run. It is good if they drive us to the shops and give us money.

2 comments:

Paula said...

Our visiting minister preached about being thankful today. We do have so much to be thankful for. Like the quote from Abraham Lincoln. He is my favorite president.

shirl72 said...

Good Entry--I expect to pass through this world but once..Any good thing that I can do any kindness that I can show, let me do it now..let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again. God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Shirl