Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Healthcare in the USA

(Pictures have nothing in common with the blog entry)

wow2

I am always surprised at the studies of costs compared to results. In the past few days two studies came out, one on the average longevity of individuals thru out the world.  I thought the US would rate very high, but we were #33 in one report and #26 in another.

wow4

Take Japan, we spend twice the amount on health care than Japan, but live 5 years less, wonder why?

I did read one place where we paid 33% more for medications (pills) than Canada, Mexico or the UK.  Wonder why?

wow6

 

One study I read said our doctors were leery of lawsuits, so they prescribed meds and do a lot of referrals which runs up our cost.

We also take more meds per patient. Frankly when I told my Dr. that I developed a rash after starting the first statin, he didn’t pause a second and said, ‘It’s not the statin.’  Now that quick diagnosis or opinion bothers me.  I know they are pushed, you can wait an hour to see your doctor less than 15 minutes and the average cost is going to be $200.  He is forced by a schedule to see so many patients an hour.  It seems so impersonal, but that is the system today. Over all, We  will never see the ‘Family doctor’ again. The one who knows every name and when they were born.  So we must live with it.

wow5

Along that vein, I borrowed this quote from Paula, the cowgirl.  http://pl78064.blogspot.com/

I thought of the family doctor we went to for many years. He was all business and the health subject a person was there for. The only thing I knew about him was that he smoked because I saw cigarettes in his pocket (bad for a doctor or anyone). I knew he had a wife because at times she filled in for the receptionist but she wasn’t very friendly. (Winking smile my emphasis)

He was a good doctor and would prescribe medicine for my kids over the phone and never charge a penny.

On the other hand, my doctor now, I know where he grew up, where he lives now, what he thinks of our school system, also about a true southern lady patient (no names of course). He is able to give his medical advice, listen to my complaints and still make me feel like he knows I am a person and not just a number in his books.  (end quote)

****************************************************

wow3

My Sherry likes her Dr. and is happy with him. She has been going to him for a few years now. I went to him once. I didn’t like him, he must have better bedside manners with the other patients.Winking smile(But then to be honest, I dislike going to any Doctor, even for my hearing).

I know this is a little simplistic, but during my time there were many folks who NEVER SAW a dr. until they joined the service.

Oh well, I guess that is all the damage I can do. I may or may not post this. “What you  think?” I ask this computer?  And it said……  ”Nite Shipslog”

PS:

Why pay money to have your family tree traced; go into politics and your
opponents will do it for you.
~Author unknown~

<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

the rest of the smart

Did you see the little Smart Car? This shows the rest of it.

7 comments:

Paula said...

Oh I forgot to say the southern lady wore a butterfly pin on her shoulder. lol You and Sherry have a wonderful day tomorrow. I'm waiting for Lynda to pick me up and John will go west to spend the day with his family. Isn't live crazy now days with all the divorces making it mandatory almost for kids to be different places at the same time.

shirl72 said...

I miss the Family Dr. I had a wonderful Dr. for about 40 years.
After his death I changed to
a Lady she is pretty good. I only go to Dr. for routine visits. Hope
it stays like that for awhile.

Hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving
Day.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I think I've said before that I don't go to the doctor. I know someday I may need to but meanwhile the good Lord has blessed me with good health. I pay the cost for supplemental insurance because I am over 65 and medicare don't pay it all. The only thing I've ever had to use medicare for is my flu shot every year. I had such a run around with being referred to so many doctors the last time I went that I was fed up so I never went back. I could go on and on about that one... But you'll be glad to hear I won't . Hope you and Sherry have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

TARYTERRE said...

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Jean said...

Happy Thanksgiving Jack and Sherry. I hope you're having a warmer day down your way. I've been going to the same doctor for 13 years. I think he's a great guy, but like most doctors always seems to be in a hurry. Lol. Take care, Jean

betty said...

I liked all the pictures of the floats I'm thinking?

Those were interesting facts you posted, Jack, about our country and health related to other countries. I think there is something to the fact that the doctors don't want to get sued here so they work up any and all possibilities when someone comes in with a complaint. I'm terrible about seeing doctors; haven't seen one in a few years, but I did like the nurse practitioner I had when we lived in Montana. She did take the time to talk and not make one feel rushed.

Hope you guys have a great Thanksgiving tomorrow!

betty

Rose said...

We would all love are old family doctor back in our lives. Even though medical technology has improved much, we all still want our "Family Doctor" back.