Saturday, November 23, 2013

If we are here to help other folk,

What exactly are the other folk here for? Disappointed smile

I read that once and thought it was funny. I was reminded of my Uncle Sam the other day by cousin Ken. Uncle Sam was known to say, “When I was a youngun I heard that there were some poor unfortunate folk on our road, but I never knew it was us.”

Uncle Sam was married to mama’s sister Aunt Janie.  As a kid I thought it was neat having a real live Uncle Sam in the family. Uncle Sam and Aunt Janie lived on the ART Cloth Mill Village in Lowell, NC. Lots of my kin folks lived and worked there. I had two Uncle Freds. Uncle Fred & Aunt Ruby Fulbright married to one of Dad’s sisters and Fred Darnell, Dad's baby brother. Then mama had two  more sisters who worked there with their husbands, Aunt Julia & Uncle Doyle Herron, Aunt Zedder and Uncle Earnest Cobb.

I am having trouble with the names, but growing up we always used the prefix Aunt and Uncle before the name. Some in our family call me Uncle jack, but mostly it is just Jack. I do smile when I hear Uncle jack, makes me feel good and think back.

*****************************************************

On my sugar high entry, I could not find a good picture of a kiss. And the one I found was too.. well you know…

This is Riverwalk sugar in San Antonio, We had  our boys along, they are used to this, I am not sure the lady across the river behind us is used to seeing old folk kiss.

013

See my girl’s expression, after she realized Jack Jr. was taking her picture. I told her this morning I would have no problem finding a picture of a kiss  if you didn’t say ‘stop it’ just before a picture was taken.

It is just fun to be alive, pictures conjure up some wonderful memories.  San Antonio is one of my favorite places, even more so since meeting this good looking lady in person, What a Joy she and John were.

PAULA 001

Most of you know her by her tales, http://pl78064.blogspot.com/

A smile with a compliment is one of the best ways to get one in return. I try to compliment a waitress or clerk every chance I get.  There is  something about everyone that one can find to compliment. Whether it is their hair, blouse, smile,  a piece of jewelry or just how well they do their job. If you don’t do it, try it. It is a blast of joy to see a beaming face on a person who may be down.

Nite Shipslog

PS:

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds
from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other.
~Oscar Ameringer~

*************************************************

1953Alfa Romeo BAT 5 Concept car

1953 Concept car (Alpha)

11 comments:

Lucy said...

Wow, Wow and Wow. The kiss, Sherry's expression is so funny, and that strange car. We had a big car show of older cars, here in Lincoln. They were all for sale and people came from all over to bid o them. They sold for big dollars. People came from out of state. He only had 4 left and he was going to restore them.

Jackie said...

I love your Uncle Sam's sayings. I had never heard the one about the "poor unfortunate ones on our road" until I read your blog. Made me smile. What a lovely sense of humor he had.
The photo reminds me of a song, "Sugar, Sugar."

Jean said...

The ladies that saw you kissing probably said, they must have just married. You two are so sweet. Love your picture's. That's a nice picture of Paula and John. I know by reading her blog she's a beautiful sweet lady.
Take care and enjoy this sunny weather. Jean

Paula said...

Thank you for the shout out. We loved meeting you two and your sons. I too like to compliment people and I do often when I see something I like. It doesn't cost anything to express the way you feel about someone's clothes or service. John and I both notice when we see a family with well behaved children out in pubic and we always tell them. I think it surprises them and they beam.

Elizabeth said...

So true,A compliment can turn a persons day around ! Love the pic !

Mevely317 said...

Awwwww, I love it when I see "mature-un's" holding hands and smooching ... and here you are!

As usual, I smiled so often while reading your last several entries -- but my fav has to be that sweet baby in the kitchen sink!
... or, perhaps Sherry on the bucking bronco? :)

Thanks for making my day!
Hope yours was lovely, as well!

Hugs from Phoenix,
Myra

shirl72 said...

I pass out compliments all the time you can always see a big smile. I seem to be the one that people want to tell me their problems. You said I should open an office in Walmart and let them come in just to talk. You also said I couldn't leave the house without getting into trouble. I;m old and trying to enjoy what life I have left. Good Blog you are
a good writer..Mother and Dad would be proud the patience they
had with us growing up.

betty said...

How neat, Jack and Sherry, that you shared a picture of your kiss on your journal!! What a neat kiss it must have been and good that your son got to see that you guys "still" kiss in your older years :)

betty

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I loved the KISS picture too. So glad Sherry didn't stop that one being taken. It is true a little kindness, a smile and a compliment can make someone's day and it's so easy to do. it's cold in Ohio today only 19 degrees this morning. We had only snow flurries here but some to the east of us got lots of snow on the ground. I'm not complaining...

Chatty Crone said...

Oh my goodness love that kiss between you and Sherry. I think love is wonderful.

And was that Paula and John? Thanks for sharing.

sandie

Louis la Vache said...

That Alfa BAT is one of several Alfa BAT concepts. The Blackhawk Museum in Danville, CA has this car and several other of the BATs. «Louis» is lucky enough to have seen them!