Friday, November 15, 2013

The Box

Life and its twists are many times not only interesting but fun. Sherry never had a daughter. She wanted one, so when Sherece was born to Mark and Corinne, Grandma latched on. We spent many wonderful hours with that beautiful girl.  Once very early in her life she was hospitalized, she took the IV’s like a champ. Pushing the IV rack down to the toy room, she was so cute.

scan1987-88 026

(Grandma and Sherece (Reece, Reececup))

Did your kids and grand kids like, little houses, tunnels, tents, etc?  The one thing I remember was we put up a tree for Christmas. Reece had went with us to pick it out. We came home and put the tree up, the box it came in was about 2x2x4, nice box.

scan1987-88 028(Reece taking a bath at our house, the first spiked hair)

We were interested in the tree, decorating, presents etc. We started taking note that Reece was in the box. So naturally I made her a door and windows. She loved that box more than any presents she got. That was ‘her house’.

Sherry and I had built that house and it had a huge finished basement. I built  a play house, complete with door, phone, sink windows, everything. After awhile, she was back in the box.

I used this example on a forum I attend. Some folk like to display/show the gifts given by God, but the real dedicated folks remember the small package all these gifts came in, that of our Lord. The gifts to those true folk are incidental, the main thing is the package (box), in which they arrived one Christmas morn, Long ago in a stable, in a manger as a Babe.

Okay I am not going to preach. Driving this rig gives one time to think. This trip I was thinking of our Reececup. She was a wonderful gift to her mom and dad, but especially to her Grandma. Oh, I like her a little of course (smile) because in a world of boys, she is the only girl as a grand.

FIRST DAY LAYTON BEN BD 010

(The girls, Elsie, Stella, Reece and Grandma)

Now I sorta think I am being ganged up on, Ben gave us Elsie Mae and Reece gave us Stella. WE have three girls and they are all beautiful….

Nite Shipslog

PS:

If we got one-tenth of what was promised to us in these State of the Union speeches, there wouldn't be any inducement to go to heaven.
~Will Rogers~

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Pontiac

I ran across this picture on the net. I tis a Pontiac, must be a ‘47-48 (dat is a guess)

8 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

It is funny how kids sometimes love the package the gift came in more that the gift itself.

betty said...

They are beautiful! Neat that you could be close by too to see Sherece grow up and spend time with her! I have heard of kids enjoying the boxes rather than the gifts that are in them. Maybe that's when they are more creative when they have something so simple as a box to explore :)

betty

Paula said...

I had girls and didn't think I would know how to raise a boy. After being widowed I wished I had a boy, not that my girls haven't been great and helped me so much and sons-in-law too.

Jean said...

We had only one daughter, but we've made up for it with 9 granddaughters and 8 great granddaughters. I think, Lol. You have some beautiful girls there. Take care. Jean

Chatty Crone said...

You have some very beautiful roses there Jack.

shirl72 said...

I remember Eddie Aunt Julia's son
loved to play with pots and pans.
Got on Aunt Demmie's nerves. That
is strange they loves to get in
the box and sit. Look how much money
could be saved just save old boxes you have and give them as gifts.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I was blessed with a daughter and I am thankful for her.I'm glad that Sherry has her girls to delight in too. Children do love boxes. I try every day to remember it's not so much all the gifts we have but the One who has supplied them. That's why I do a thankful list.

Louis la Vache said...

Great post, Jack! You make many good points in this!



The Pontiac is a '47.