Wednesday, September 8, 2021

Are you YOU?

 Concept Car of the day:

 


 Future Chevy E..V

For today:

There are refreshing people in this world who are honest, down to earth and just themselves, day in and day out.  I try to be, but at times I will hedge, considering the company and ‘factual honesty.’  I really don’t know how to say it, but I am not my sister Kat nor my wife Sherry.

Sister Kat worked in what our church called the ‘Colored Work’,(i.e. NAACP) that was many years ago when that term was an acceptable.  It is now called “Cross-Cultural Ministry.” Kat carried many pictures of ‘non-white’ kids (HER KIDS) in her purse and proudly showed them off. Most of the ministers (all cultures) called her Mama. When she and her hubby were leaving the leadership one of the minister’s wives told Kat. The leadership over the past few years had been great. “Let me tell you the BEST part of Brother Lankford and you. Neither of you have EVER said, ‘We love worshipping with you people; NOR have we heard, ‘I love the way YOU PEOPLE worship!’ You have worshipped here just like Christians should!”

We traveled with Kat and Dick for a couple years over the USA and to Alaska. Once Kat was sick in the Dakotas and we all went with her to see a Dr. I am sure I have told this here but again, during the visit we 4 were in the office when the Dr. Asked, “Mrs Lankford are you taking the meds as prescribed?”

Kat replied, “Yes sir, except the green one, I cut it open and take that black thing out and throw it away.”

“But you can’t do that?”

Matter of fact-ly Kat replied, “It’s my medicine.”

I would have said, “Yes sir without the explanation.”

People like my sister Kat are precious and a breath of fresh air, not a hint of aloofness no matter the position.

 She was asked to address a huge congregation once by the Highest Office in her denomination. A little into her talk the Overseer stood up and said 'Just a minute Sister Lankford!’ To which she replied, “Just sit down Big Boy, you asked me to be up here.” To a huge round of laughter and applause.  That was my Kat, my second mama.

NiteShipslog

7 comments:

Gary Wood said...

Your Sister Kat sounds like she was a "Great Sister" ! I miss my Oldest Sister, She passed away 3 years ago yesterday ! I have 1 older sister left an 3 Brothers ! We don't see much of each other being busy !!! You two take it easy and stay safe !
Sending down Love from the North ! Gary an Anna Mae

Mevely317 said...

What a tell-it-like-it-is lady! It's a shame she never went into politics.

betty said...

Wonder what Kat would say and do about all the things going on in the world these days!! I like someone that tells it from the heart and is not afraid of the consequences!

betty

Glenda said...

What a sweet tribute to Kat. I so love her spunk, your family stories are always a delight! Lotsa love from Chobee, Glenda

Victor S E Moubarak said...

What a wonderful lady. Thank you Jack, for this beautiful tribute.

God bless you all.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

WE are each our own person and were never meant to be alike. You have such wonderful memories of your loved ones. They were definitely unique and special people

yaya said...

I would say you had a sister like no other! Wonderful memories of a strong, confident woman!