Friday, September 10, 2021

When I grow up I want to be….

 Car of the day:

 

Test driving a jeep WWII. no seat belts!

 

For today:

MOST youngsters at times see a grown up or another older child and say: I WANT TO BE LIKE THEM WHEN I GROW UP! Some kids have time to find a role model that drives them to be something. In my youth trains were pulled by ‘Steam Engines’. I loved to watch a train go by puffing out smoke, I liked the smell. I remember those engineers. Kids loved to wave at them, they always smiled big and waved back. Yes, then I wanted to be an engineer.


Uncles Hisure, Hershal and Fred were truck drivers. Back then Truck drivers had a uniform and a special. For a short period I wanted to be a truck driver.

When driving thru our little town the other day I mentioned to Sherry, I miss seeing a policemen walking a beat. Boy did I get a ‘kick’ when one would take time to shake my hand like I was grown. He carried a Billy club, a gun, hand cuffs and a whistle. HE WAS IMPORTANT and he was friendly. Yep, at that time I wanted to be a Policeman.




But from my youngest memories, the first years of my life there was World War II. My brothers wore a sailor uniform. When I was with dad on the road he always gave the men in uniform hitchhiking a ride. From my earliest dreams, I saw a uniform in my future. So over-riding the ‘things I could be’ such as Doctor, lawyer, pilot, Hell- Driver, Circus clown, truck driver there was always that ‘UNIFORM’.

Funny thing at 17 I did get some uniforms, I was on Parris Island. It was like magic, NO ONE checked or asked my size, I just caught them like everyone else as they were thrown at me. I heard one rule, “They will fit! If they are too loose you will gain weight, if they are tight you will lose weight for other choices you will have a sewing kit; MOVE IT!”

I loved the comradery, but I left the USMC. I tried the USAF. They did check the size, were nice and tailored them. I stayed 4 yrs and 100 days (compliments of JFK and the Cuban Missile Crisis).

 My last Uniform Was compliments of the USN! Pretty much like my brothers wore. I stayed with the USN for about 14 years and retired.


Above over looking Athens the 2nd time....

Below deck of the Independence

So my childhood dreams did come true. Most folks I have known are satisfied with their final choices in life but it was not what they had envisioned as a child.

How about you?

NiteShipslog

6 comments:

Mevely317 said...

Great reflections, Jack! You're only one of two individuals I know who achieved their early dreams. (The other, a Church of Christ minister who no longer blogs.)

Gosh, I was all over the place. As a child I wanted nothing more than to live out in the 'middle of nowhere' on a horse ranch with a husband and 6 kids. Later, a veterinarian or pharmacist ... until I realized math and science were prerequisites. (LOL) In the end, I discovered I was happiest in a support capacity -- too unimportant to be possible prey in the event of a downsizing. Oh, and there was none of that taking the office home with me nights and weekends.

betty said...

You have had a great career, Jack, and its great you got to achieve something you wanted to do as a youngster with being in the military.

I always wanted to be a secretary. I was good with typing, shorthand and the like. I did work as a medical secretary for a few years but drifted into medical transcription and really enjoyed that until it got outsourced, lol. Now I'm content working temp jobs and learning different fields :)

betty

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Wonderful photos of you years ago, Jack. This is a wonderful post reminiscing on what you wanted to be.

So many dreams we have when we are young. You are so fortunate to have achieved your ambition to be in uniform. Thank you so much.

God bless.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

My dreams came true too. All I ever wanted to be was a wife and mother of a large family. I got to do both and am thankful those dreams did come true.

Dar said...

Your aspirations were materialized from young on. You were very fortunate and good at what you did because you ' wanted ' to. As a teen I just wanted to stay home, never leave the farm but was nudged out of the nest to explore. I studied to be an elementary teacher, got married way too young, had several jobs until I finally studied to be a respiratory therapist. Besides my most important dream realized as a wife, mom and grandmother, I loved helping people as the hospital jobs did that for me. Life is funny. Now, as a grandmom and still mothering our 5 kids, I feel most fulfilled. A lot of people would think it's a boring life. I happen to love all I do as it's so important to me. Thanks for this entry. It makes one realize how fortunate I am.
loven'hugs from up north in our sunny days, balmy nights. Life is grand.

Lisa said...

When I was young, I wanted to be a trash truck driver. I thought it would be fun riding on the back of the truck. When I go older, I wanted to be a nurse.

Lisa