Wednesday, November 17, 2021

My fault, ants in the house!


Memorable car of the day:

 

MY girl pregnant with Jack Jr. in front of our '53 Plymouth. Note the window fan in neighbor's house, remember them? Neighbors '56 Buick in back ground.

 You know you are home in Florida when you see a covey (herd, bunch, group) of white Ibis wander across your yard pecking. Note the bush it is now trimmed back 2 feet.

Now today's stuff:

First, thanks for all the very good comments on our ‘grand situation’. I truly mean that. It means a lot.

Lisa (away from the office chair), said hibiscus was her dad’s favorite, but he calls them ‘Hibiscuits’. Sherry and I got a kick out of that, once we had the twins with us as kids and Sherry showed them the Hibiscus, they both called them hibiscuits, that has stuck with us over the years.

Okay, I was so proud of me for saving the beautiful flowered Hibiscus, I did not notice they also had ants visiting at the time I cut them. I brought the flowers in to let Sherry enjoy them. Before long she caught it before they got out of hand and I put them out on the patio, they are still beautiful. LOL But we will enjoy them from afar.

From yesterday’s work:

 


This shrub out back was above the roof and over to the coach.


I have no idea what this bush, tree was but it was twelve feet high.

Below is one of the Hibiscus Plants. below. Note the bush at the corner. It is a beautiful poinsettia, but not red yet. I didn't mess with it.

Next is the last Hibiscus.

Above is the results, tied into 4 foot bundles as required by the city of Leesburg for pickup.
Our trailer and coach in Leesburg.


 

Above is our orange tree, it is loaded this year. Below is the lemon tree also loaded.  The Grapefruit (not shown) not doing so well this year.

 Sorry for the over load of photos, but I had to 'splain the work involved in leaving a house for 6 months at a time. LOL 

Nite Shipslog

PS:

9 comments:

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Thank you so much for sharing all these photos, Jack. What a lovely place you have. It can be hard work dealing with the plants and gardens but so satisfying. It's good you have wonderful weather too. Enjoy your holiday and have great fun.

God bless you and Sherry and your family always.

Susan Kane said...

Looks like you have some citrus harvesting to do! Our previous house of 27 years was loaded all the time. And your hibiscus! Ours was systematically killed by white fly.

Lisa said...

I love photo post.
Your yard looks great and I can imagine the work you had to do. I got tire just thinking about it.
I envy the fact that you have orange and lemon trees.
Wish thy would grow good up here. I have a lemon tree that stands about 5 feet tall but has no blooms. It is also thorny. It came from a lemon seed from a lemon cut up for tea. They tell me those kind will never produce. I want to get a Meyers lemon tree.

From chilly NC
Lisa

Mevely317 said...

Wow on all that growth ... happy soil! I'd love to come trick-or-treating for some of your lemons!

Ya, them ants are sneaky. Great catch, Sherry! Years ago Tom's sister told us about the magic elixer (Terro) and since we've always kept it on hand, just in case.

yaya said...

Such a pretty place! I would love citrus trees. Fresh OJ every morning!

Glenda said...

Oh Lordy, Lordy, is Jack Darnell "fordy" again??? Probably he had a pretty sidekick helping give all those gorgeous plants a manicure!!! Love all the photos of your Flawda home, nice acreage! Leesburg is a pitstop on the way to Missouri --- if I ever make that trip again. So jealous of your citrus. Keep an eye on them, mine (yours) got a funky fungus. I took leaves over to the Univ of FL extension office and the "expert" told me to spray with some kind of copper citrate. Didn't work, lost all of them. Key lime tree, Honeybelle, Meyer lemon (I love them, like Lisa said). I want to try again with new plantings. Y'all have a lovely day, Hugs from Chobee.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Those pesky ants. At least they were contained in one place and all you had to do was sit them outside. Ants are very annoying. You have a great selection of trees there. How nice to have your own oranges, lemons and grapefruit too. Yes it's hard to keep it all maintained when you are away so long. But you are doing a great job of catching up there.

Gary and Anna Mae said...

Thanks for the Posts and Photos, Nothing wrong with Posting Photos of Orange Trees, Green Grass, Sunshine, We are entering "*Winter) !!! LoL !!! Sending down Love and Prayers, Gary and Anna Mae

Dar said...

I'm in Citrus Grove AWE....mama is growing her sister's orange and lemon trees inside, since her sister's passing this summer. It's like the trees knew. and are they ever growing. Aunt Lois used to harvest lemons so mama is hopeful. When I transplanted them for mom, I was reminded how thorny they were and ouch! How I envy you. Enjoy your harvest lucky folks.
love n' hugs from up north where the air is bitter cold and snowy. I could go for an orange cake with lemon icing please!