Monday, April 9, 2012

Beaufort, SC & Pat Conroy

This area brings back many memories for Sherry & I.  Beaufort is just down the road, and just past that is the ‘End of the World’, many a young man and woman have thought.  ‘PARRIS ISLAND’, or as it is affectionately referred to by Marines after they realize that it really isn’t the end of the world, Pleasure Island.

Anyway since I started reading in my late 50’s, I learned to know the name Pat Conroy. He wrote some great books:

The Water Is Wide
The Great Santini
The Lords of Discipline….. About the Citidel
The Prince of Tides & Beach Music

(an interesting Bio, if you are interested.)

http://www.patconroy.com/about.php 

These are not all but the ones I met him by reading. He grew up as the son of a Marine Officer, who called himself ‘The great Santini’. Pat wrote a book by that name, based on his childhood.

The geat santini

He became a teacher and took a job teaching out on a SC Island. He was fired because of a few things, one was he refused to administer or allow corporal punishment of his students. The then wrote a book called ‘The Water is Wide’, exposing the conditions in the school on the island.  It was a success and he received some awards for his truth of the system.

His life is one of ups and downs, his books are spell binding and have produced several movies.  So while we are here I think of Pat Conroy. If you haven’t read any of his books, you owe it to yourself to do so.

I am sure the rest of his books are good, those 5 I have read.

Thanks for coming by the log, as we sit in the South Carolina Low country.

Nite Shipslog

PS:

_ BRITISH HUMOUR

These are classified ads, which were actually placed in U.K. Newspapers:

FOR SALE BY OWNER. Complete set of Encyclopaedia Britannica, 45 volumes.

Excellent condition, £200 or best offer.

No longer needed, got married, wife knows everything.

(The British humour compliments of Shirl)

******************************************************************

1954 Firebird (Prototype)

1954-Firebird--e1271724526566

We got to see one of these at the ‘Henry Ford’.

9 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

I read quite a bit but have never read anything by Mr. Pat Conroy. After your recommendation I will have to give him a try. Take care.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for introducing. And yes, an awesome car that is. Please have you all a good Tuesday.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for introducing. And yes, an awesome car that is. Please have you all a good Tuesday.

shirl72 said...

The name is so familiar.. I will
check in the Library downstairs
to see if we have any. They maybe checked out. LOL

I stay so busy don't have much time
to read.

Shirl

Chatty Crone said...

I don't think I have read his books.

However - my husband loved seeing that car!

Sandie

Dar said...

You caught me at a bad time for reading anything other than a seed catalog...hehe. I will look him up tho. I love to read on rainy days at the cabin with the rain hitting the metal roof...now to put in an order for showers.
As for Bill's new toy., did I tell you it has forward AND reverse tines? He loves it. I'm sure he'd let you play with it the next time you come.
LoveYouTwo and
BlessYourHearts

Louis la Vache said...

If «Louis» recalls properly, the turbine-powered car you show is one of three versions of a proposed turbine car GM showed at the Motorama shows. Chrysler was the only one to actually put a turbine car into (very limited) production. If the Chrysler Turbine looks a lot like the Ford Thunderbirds of the era, it is because it was designed by Elwood Engel, who drew the T-bird introduced in 1964. He jumped ship to Chrysler before the '64 birds went into production.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

As much as I've read, I'm not so sure If I read the Prince of Tides or saw a movie by that name. As much as you've written about Beaufort, I'm sure you must feel like you are home there. Hope you enjoy your stay and have a terrific Tuesday!

Sherry said...

You must know the low country holds some very fond memories for me, I still have family in Branchville and Orangrburg,yall have a wonderful time. I'm going to check out thoses books too, hugs, Sherry