Sunday, April 8, 2012

Breakfast……. and Hugging Oaks Church

 

When we are in a new area I inquire on the net for suggestions for a local church. The only one recommended so far here was the Huggin oaks Church, near Hampton, SC. About 15 miles on Hwy 68.

Weekends we usually have breakfast out. At home there is a great local Café called ‘Whites’. They have one of the best breakfasts anywhere at a very reasonable price. The cost for the two of us is always less than $10 including a $2 tip.

For Saturday morning, I announced to Sherry, I saw a small café in Yemassee, I want to go there for Breakfast. Then we can drive towards Hampton and stop at some yard sales.

(Not saying Yemassee is small, but this is the Country Club!)

huggin Oak 003

We drove past 3 good breakfast places for a quick breakfast. Denny’s, McDonalds (good coffee) and Subway. 6 miles to my pick, CLOSED!

Okaaaaaay, no problem (Sherry loves coffee in the morning, she still doesn’t have it), we will drive up Hwy 68 and stop at another café. HA HA ON ME! We drove  on past the Huggin Oaks Church, for 21 miles before we saw a restaurant or café.  What did we find? A McDonalds and a Hardees, not a local restaurants, even in Hampton. So we ate at Hardee’s.

No yard sales that looked close to interesting, a lot of children's toys and clothes.

Now the name Huggin Oaks, had me very curious, where did the country folk come up with that name? (I had forgotten the camera) I drove into the parking lot of a very nice church, well manicured lawn, out in the country. We needed to find the service times. There on the sign was the times and a small painting of two large oaks leaning toward to each other with the branches entwined, then it hit me,  There are two oaks around like that or were, on this location, when the church was organized.

huggin Oak 005

Anyway We did attend, and met some wonderful country folk.  We do this across the country, it is getting harder for me, but Sherry carries the bulk of the conversations and I smile.  happy Easter to you all.

The pastor was a retired Navy Chaplain, Bishop Strickland.

Thanks for coming by the log, now you know about a church called Huggin Oaks, file that away.

Oh, and we ate dinner at the Hampton Restaurant, Great food, but this was parked beside us in the parking lot:

huggin Oak 006

a beautiful 1970 Chevy Super Sport.

Nite Shipslog

PS:

The Children's Bible in a Nutshell
In the beginning, which occurred near the start, there was nothing but God, darkness, and some gas.

The Bible says, ' The Lord thy God is one', but I think He must be a lot older than that.

Anyway, God said, 'Give me a light!' and someone did.

Then God made the world.
He split the Adam and made Eve. Adam and Eve were naked, but they weren't embarrassed because mirrors hadn't been invented yet.

Adam and Eve disobeyed God by eating one bad apple, so they were driven from the Garden of Eden..... Plymouths must have been the first car, because God drove them out in his Fury.

*******************************************************

1956 Plymouth Fury1956 Plymouth Fury1

The 1956 Fury

14 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

HAPPY EASTER, Jack and Sherry.

momto8 said...

ha! Happy Easter!!!
Breakfast is the best meal to eat in a restaurant!

Ken Riches said...

Nothing better than an inexpensive Cafe breakfast :o)

Helen said...

That country club looks like the old time grocery stores. Glad that you enjoyed the church service. That is a unique name. Happy Easter and have a blessed evening. Helen

Anonymous said...

Love the Nova (maybe in a different color, though).

It's kind of a let down, ain't it, that it was the trees that was a huggin and not the folks that were enjoying their shade.

Chatty Crone said...

You sound like a great husband and she sounds like a great wife!

Have a blessed Easter. Sandie

Anonymous said...

Community near here called Pocomoke, from Indian word mean "black water."
Maybe "huggonoke" Indian name.
Tonto think so, what you think?

DD said...

Happy Easter to Jack and Sherry~
DD

shirl72 said...

Glad you enjoyed attending the
Huggin Oak Church. Made me hungry
talking about food. I am on my way
to the Kitchen to find some left
over Easter Dinner Food.

Shirl

Paula said...

That would be something I would enjoy about traveling around---visiting small churches.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Glad you all got your breakfast and found the church. I'm a day late but am wishing you a Happy Easter anyway.

Fred Alton said...

Hahahahahaha! You had me laughing here this morning and I needed it. I've heard of the "Huggin Oaks" COG and I believe met a former pastor from there. Can't remember his name this morning but I think he did quite a lot for the missions department while I was serving as F.D. for Africa.

~mel said...

Only you Jack would come up with that analogy of God driving out the Plymouths with His Fury!! Too funny. You and your car knowledge just amazes me:)

Louis la Vache said...

Ah! The '56 Fury! Limited production and VERY fast with its hemi V-8!