Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Going North

There is a stretch of US301 above Ocala, Florida and I-10 that is known as Ticket alley.  Some folk from here take the long way around just to avoid it. I remember counting the speed limit signs once and it averaged one about every mile or two. The main towns along the alley are: Hawthorne, Waldo, Starke and Lawtey.

zzzz_speed-trap-lawtey1

(The warnings are on bill board size signs!)

We have friends who have gotten tickets in Waldo.  We have never been stopped, mainly because I am not a fast driver. If you spend about 4 years on Guantanamo Bay, Cuba where the max speed limit is 25, you learn to drive slower. LOL.  So I am not by nature a fast driver.

3859133-speed_trap_Waldo

I like that part of our travels because it is good country and really is enjoyable. US301 was to Florida, what US-66 was to the USA, many years ago. I like the drive and I never fuss at a sign that says ‘SPEED LIMITS STRICKLY ENFORCED’, when you  get a ticket there you  ain’t paying attention. Some folk consider those speed traps, I cannot do that when the speed limits are posted.  The main problem is from years ago when I think they were actually speed traps.  Now they are ‘Strictly Enforced’.  That should tell you something.

Anyway I like the drive and we will take that route. I think Sherry, who has commented on the Shipslog, lives in that area. We will blow the horn in Lawtey and yell hello Sherry, as we pass thru.

Every year this is sort of a bitter sweet experience leaving, Florida has been our home for a few years. We were residents of Key West for a few years and then Tavares, besides all the winters we have spent in the Sunshine State.

But winter is past, and we head north to follow spring. See you in South Carolina.

Nite Shipslog

PS:

Let me tell you about my doctor:

Another guy told the doctor that he thought he was a deck of cards. The doctor simply said, "Go sit over there. I'll deal with you later."

------------------------------

When I told my doctor I broke my leg in two places, He told me to stop going to those places.

-----------------------------

You know, doctors can be so frustrating. You wait a month and a half for an appointment, Then he says ,"I wish you had come to me sooner."

*********************************************

cars from Charlotte 003

Me with the MG Hill climber

cars from Charlotte 007

Shil and Sherry trying to decide which to get me for Christmas!!!

14 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I'll be praying for a safe and happy trip for you both. I can see where it would be bittersweet for you. Keep safe and take good care!

Elizabeth said...

safe travels!

Paula said...

Good Doctor jokes since I'll be seeing my Hematoligist today.

betty said...

LOL, I think the car is a little big to fit under the Christmas tree!! At least they warn you about speed traps coming up to be prepared, but I'm sure as you said, it still catches some people by surprise when they get that ticket!! Hard to imagine winter is over and time to head north; safe travels and where did the time go?

betty

BlueRidge Boomer said...

Watch out for some of those little GA towns,too....they'll get ya!!
Enjoy

Sherry said...

Blow the horn.....lolol, I'll be waving. yall travel safe and enjoy the ride, hugs, Sherry


By the way. I live in Baldwin, at 301 and 90, but my mom lives in Starke, Fl so I go thur Lawety a lot...... still wave at me.....

Helen said...

Have a safe an enjoyable trip home. Watch out for those speed traps that have a warning on them.
Helen

shirl72 said...

How nice of you to put Lucy's
update from her Son's request.
Glad the procedure is going well.

Well on the road again to SC next
stop NC. You and Willie enjoy
being on the road.

Hope you have a safe trip looking
forward to seeing you and Sherry...

Shirl

Anonymous said...

A safe road ahead !

Thank you for the update as well very much. Please have you all a good Thursday.

Woody said...

God's Speed or Full Sail Ahead or whatever but enjoy your trip, we are still waiting for warm weather, sun, 50, cloudy, hail, rain, all in one afternoon...
..
you 2 take care..

Love ya's from way up North...

Gary & Anna Mae

TARYTERRE said...

A fond farewell to Florida, indeed. GODSPEED. Can't wait to hear all about your adventures in South Carolina. BEWARE of those speed traps. My daughter actually got a ticket for driving TOO slow. I kid you not. Happy Easter.

Louis la Vache said...

hee hee...
«Louis» will take the MG over any of the 'vettes!
You look just right for motoring off in the MG, there, Jack!

Fred Alton said...

Travel well, and safe! God protect you from the drivers on drugs (that'd be me today)! Get this chemo-pump off again tomorrow though and then am free to drive if I feel like it. Had three of my roughest days last week but am much improved now. Hopefully you'll get to come across the mountain soon after you get home to NC and visit with us a few days. Love you two very much.

LYN said...

I love Waldo..neat little place..great Flea Market..I think I heard you beep your horn from my place...I don't live far from Camp Blanding..i know you know where that is...:-)