Saturday, July 23, 2016

Just thinking about termites!

Today we had a good trip over to the Deltona area to check out a couple places.  Main thing was the house on 9th street that had experienced a small fire. They had lowered the price into our limits.

But not to be, RV will not fit. Oh did I tell you about the beautiful house laid out perfect with master BR on one side of the house and the other two on the other? The back door had fallen off, inside I realize why, the termites had eaten the door frame away and the steel door had fallen. So inside we went.

 Today we had a good trip over to the Deltona area to check out a couple places.  Main thing was the house on 9th street that had experienced a small fire. They had lowered the price into our limits. 
But not to be, RV will not fit. 

Oh, did I tell you about the beautiful house laid out perfect with master BR on one side of the house and the other two on the other? The back door had fallen off. So inside we went. Inside I realized  the termites had eaten the door frame away and the steel door had fallen. 

As a builder I looked with amazement at the damage the termites had done. It made me sorta sick. The sheet rock had been removed in one area to show the studs completely eaten by the termites. I am saying to Sherry, this was done while some lived here and they did not even know it. This house is in a very nice neighborhood. Average home here would be about $165k.  This one eaten up, is $59K with no takers so far.


That hurts to see a once beautiful home destroyed. That reminds me of my only termite incident when building. I had a call, "Jack I have termites." The house was less than a year old. I checked and sure enough at the entrance of the house the hardwood was eaten away leaving only the Urethane (paint). The finger punched right thru.


I immediately called my termite man and he came over with his truck. He sprayed the house again and started to leave. "Hey, Albert, when can you  get back and repair the floor?"
"Jack we don't repair damage. I have been working for you for years and you haven't read the contract?"
 I said, "You don't fix it, you don't do any more of my houses."
He said, "I'm sorry for the misunderstanding, but call any of my competitors and ask them about repairs."

He was right, the contract only called for retreatment if termites occur.  Ouch.   I continued to use him until I retired. I repaired the floor but I began to go back and check my houses after about 6 months. 

More tomorrow night.

Nite Shipslog


                                   1963 T-Bird
 1964 Corvair above and 1964 Pontiac Convettable below.
I loved that Corvair, I wasn't crazy about Ralph Nader. (I still think he worked for Ford! LOL)

9 comments:

Paula said...

A shame the house was eaten up and the people living there didn't know.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

There are some places that are more prone to termites than others. I've never experienced any here, but know of people that lived in places that had them and regularly had to spray to keep them away. You surely have seen some fixer uppers of all types in your search. Hope you find a good one soon.

Lisa said...

Ive never experienced termites but know some who have. They say you can actually hear them chewing your house. We fight bees that will boar into our wood and build nest. We have them gone now I think. Good luck tomorrow.

Love from hot and sticky Gastonia
Lisa

jack69 said...

Boy do I ever need a proof reader. I had 'Just thining about termites' But now I am THINKING about termites and my spelling!

Unknown said...

I was going to mention repeating yourself but you caught what you had done.
It was probably late and we all repeat ourselves. As ole Frank sings
"That's Life".

betty said...

I think I would stay away from a house that has been on the market for awhile. Might be more trouble than it is worth. The house in San Diego had termites. Two times when we lived there they swarmed out of the wall. Very strange. When the house sold, it got tented. There was some wood damage that had to be fixed, but not much.

Betty

Mevely317 said...

I need to Google the 'symptoms' of termites. This home ownership business isn't for the faint of heart!

Have yourselves a fun day over there!

Rick Watson said...

House hunting is not for the weak at heart.
R

TARYTERRE said...

Termites would have me walking the other way.