Saturday, July 16, 2016

Weight and Exercise

 
I have noticed in our little town of Belmont, NC, folks are more exercise conscious. Folks are riding bikes, walking and running. I think that is good. Sherry and I try to walk at least 3 miles each day.  But isn’t it funny, if we don’t watch it, we will drive around a parking lot looking for the closest parking spot.

Sherry and I both want to lose a few pounds and are ‘sorta’ trying. I have lost about 11 pounds in the past 3 months and Sherry has lost about 10 pounds.  I want to lose at least 8 more and she says 5.  MY friend Buddy has lost 22lbs I hear. He has a beautiful young wife, methinks it is catching up with him! LOL
 (From the AT this is 'In Tents' , He said yea you can take my picture but I but I don't have to get up, do I?)

Several folk asked if we lost weight on the Appalachian Trail. Yes and no.  Of course carrying a pack 8-9 miles a day and eating light, does take some off.  But then when we went to town to stock up on supplies, we would eat too much, then the day we got back on the trail we would eat a large breakfast and carry a ft. Long sub in the pack for the first evening meal. So we lost a few pounds over all, but like most folk, that we put back on.
( This is a grandma who had hikes solo from Georgia for 1700 miles. Her son and daughter came to join her on for a few days in Maine)

Now the things folk laugh with us about is the shoe size.  Walking over 1800 miles carrying weight, we did gain a shoe size! And we did not lose that! LOL (we were no able to do the whole 2170miles).

Not everyone wants to backpack or hike, but we all need to do something to stay active.  Keep in mind, the folk 6’ under don’t exercise their body.  I betcha some even don’t exercise their mind!


Nite Shipslog
PS  On the AT, we planned to walk 16 miles a day. We soon found out that 8 miles a day for us ‘old folk’ was about our limit. One day near Franklin ,NC we did walk 17 miles but it whipped us.
**********  ************  *******


7 comments:

Lisa said...

Woooh! Congrats on you both for loosing some pounds!! I try to walk 3 miles a day too. Iwould walk more if there were safer areas around here.

Keep moving
Lisa

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

No diets here at my house. At this point in my life, they are beyond me. I'm plump and don't mind.

Mevely317 said...

That's crazy about 'walking' yourselves into a bigger foot size! When you think about it, (that) kind of makes sense. The body human is so amazing!

PS - Since I read the AT, these pictures and your recollections are taking on a whole 'nother dimension. :)

betty said...

That was pretty impressive with the 17 mile day! Congrats on the weight loss for the two of you. There are lots of overweight people here, but not Myra, she is as thin as a toothpick, it makes me wonder if the heat hampers peoples desire to get out to exercise.

Betty

Rick Watson said...

I have walked long distances but it's been many years. I try to walk 10k steps a day most of the time but I'm getting shots in my knees now and the doc suggested that I cut it down until the treatment ends. I hope to get back on my program next week.
I too am trying to lose about 20 pounds. My problem is that I LOVE bread and chips.
So, I started curtailing those carbs today. I'm a little snippy, but I'll survive:)
R

Paula said...

I lost thirty pounds in a very short time. Look better but not a good thing. Tests were all negative as to why. Must be some of the medication or the blood disease.

TARYTERRE said...

congrats. Walk and the pounds will fall off