Sunday, November 5, 2017

How does the garden grow?

The Historical picture of the day:
The Alamo. Paula lives close to this historic monument in San Antonio. We never get tired of visiting here.

The garden.  I have been under-the-weather a little. Our garden is doing well, I thought I might show you.  As I said we are expecting a bumper crop.

Our cantaloupe patch.  Mel from up in the North wood Says just the smell of one sends her into hysterics, and I can sell/give or throw away her share to anyone else.  I’ll just probably eat ‘em myownself.  I love ‘em.  (see dem blooms!)

Now here is our entire tomato field.  I love tomatoes also. I do hope they produce without having us around all the time.


Now here are the banana trees (2). WE have never attempted to raise bananas and have no idea how long it takes to grow a banana tree.  But I do like ‘em. 

BTW I have potatoes planted too, but I have forgotten where I planted them.  I’m waiting….

In front of the tomato plants above you see 17‘starting pots’.  These are my Cherry trees.  I put the seeds in the freezer for a month to make them think they have been through a winter. Then I thawed them out and planted them. They have been planted now for about a month,   I see nothing popping it’s head up, reckon they have forgotten it is spring? I will let you know later when we expect cherries.

The longest we ever lived in a brick and mortar home was about 6 years methinks. If cherry trees don’t grow fast, the possibility of seeing cherry blossoms doesn’t bode well for us. (maybe bananas!)

My big garden would consume about 2 (maybe 3) minutes of Dar and Bill's time up north.  They had another bumper crop of Pumpkins this year I understand!

Fact about this wonderful body we live in….
Hair ( just a memory for some of us)….

The life span of a human hair is 3 to 7 years on average. Every day the average person loses 60-100 strands of hair. But don't worry, you must lose over 50% of your scalp hairs before it is apparent to anyone.


  
Nite Shipslog
I suggested we go aherd and look for t farm truck. Sherry (wet blanket, Birthday girl 'n all) suggest I wait to see the crop first. Oh ye of little faith!


5 comments:

Paula said...

I love cantalopes. You're getting to be quite the gardener. I really lived near the Missions and especially San Jose.

betty said...

Always enjoyable to see the fruit of your labor, so to speak, when plants start to grow. It will be interesting with the banana trees, how long it takes to grow, etc.

Feel better soon!

betty

TARYTERRE said...

it will be interesting to see what your garden yields. fingers crossed.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It's great to see things growing. Here everything seems the opposite except for the growing piles of leaves on the ground that thankfully I can still deal with. Bad storms here overnight and lots are with out power here but not me...alll is well just very wet.

Dar said...

Mel doesn't know what she's missing, does she. We LOVE cantaloupe. We grew them last summer and they were wonderful. It's not banana growing area up north....probably why we don't have monkeys either. hmm. Your tomatoes should do wonderful and the cherry seeds probably should have lived their dormancy in the refrigerator instead of the freezer......here cherry trees grow quite fast. Good luck Jack. You're turning into quite the adventurous gardener. Yes, we did have a bumper crop of pumpkins, harvesting over 520 of them. It was a surprising year, we are grateful.
love n' hugs from up north where we are now into ' freeze ' zone. It hasn't risen above 20 degrees for quite some time. Stay warm and feel better.