Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Whistling and singing



Historical picture:


 Job hunting during the depression of the early 1930s.

Florida today:

Okay, I am no singer, but I whistle a lot. Speaking of whistling, when we took the family cruise I was on our balcony whistling, my granddaughter Megan was on the other side of the privacy wall and said, “I love that.” I apologized for being so loud, but she said keep it up it sounds good. (Nobody will insult their grandpa)

I am weird, I get a song on my mind and I will wear it out and probably everyone around me. Lately I have been singing, mostly whistling because when you whistle or play a trumpet (any wind instrument) you don’t have to know the words. The song is ‘Sentimental Journey’.

Gonna take a sentimental journey
Gonna set my heart at ease
Gonna make a sentimental journey
To renew old memories.

Doris day recorded that in 1945 with Les Brown’s band. It was a #1 hit for a long time. I was only 6 at the time, so I must have heard it much later. LOL

Do you get a song on your mind and it stays?

I have always loved to whistle. When I lost my hearing I didn’t notice, but I quit whistling.  Once the Cochlear implants were done, I know I bother everyone, I seem to whistle non stop. Yesterday, I noticed I was walking around in the grocery store whistling while Sherry was getting her hair cut (okay styled). My girl has perfect hair. She gets compliments from strangers even, her hair doesn’t need any help. But…….. she is a real woman, gotta have that hair done.
Anyway I noticed folks looking at me and smiling(maybe laughing inside) so I shut up. But before I knew it I was doing it again.

Hearing and whistling and I have a little history. Our family was watching Peanuts on TV once. One of the characters was Ice skating and on the split screen whistling (the man doing the whistling for the cartoon character was being shown) and to me the whistling stopped. I said, “Now that is embarrassing, losing your whistle on national TV.” 

Sherry says, “Honey, he is still whistling.” I knew then I was having a problem.

Later I bought a great diesel truck. I took my girl for a ride. “How do you like it, the sucker is much quieter than I thought it would be.”

My sweetie said, “This is a loud piece of junk.” Until this day she says that is not the words she used, but I know they meant the same. I admitted to myself, I needed hearing aids. LOL There times it is hard to face the truth.

Now a fact about our body:

There are as many hairs per square inch on your body as a chimpanzee.
(That one is hard to swallow)
 
Nite Shipslog
This was my diesel work truck. It is quiet, isn't it?  LOL
 

Doris Day - Sentimental Journey




Gonna take a sentimental journey
Gonna set my heart at ease
Gonna make a sentimental journey
To renew old memories

Got my bag, got my reservation
Spent each dime, I could afford
Like a child in wild anticipation
Long to hear that 'All aboard'

Seven, that's the time we leave, at seven
I'll be waitin' up at Heaven
Countin' every mile of railroad track
That takes me back

Never thought my heart could be so yearny
Why did I decide to roam?
Gotta take that sentimental journey
Sentimental journey home

Sentimental journey
 

11 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

I know that song too, but I don't whistle. lol really I can't whistle. Seems you are doing okay. That was a sad picture about the depression. Glad my hair is not dark and thick like a gorilla! Yuck.

Paula said...

I can't whistle very well and John says he can't since he had Bell's Palsy. I have a lady friend who can whistle louder then any male. One of my sons-in-law whistles a lot. Humm nice subject. I had a subject earlier today and didn't write it down, now I can't remember what it was.

Mevely317 said...

I can't whistle to save my life ... but sure enjoy hearing those who do.
Seems the older I get, the more I'm getting these crazy, random songs stuck in my head. For instance? Out of the blue, I recently started humming "I Got Plenty of Nothing" from Porgy and Bess. Last week it was "Charade." Suppose someone's trying to gaslight me? LOL!

betty said...

Never was a whistler here, but do enjoy listening to others whistle. I got a song from my youth stuck in my head the other day. Couldn't remember all the lyrics, so had to look it up on the internet since it was driving me crazy with the worlds I couldn't remember.

betty

salemslot9 said...

"Rain Drops Keep Falling On My Head"
by B. J. Thomas

TARYTERRE said...

i can't whistle at all. but my husband more than makes up for that. he does a fine job like you jack.

Lisa said...

I will whistle the intire tune to the Andy Griffith Show. And then whistle it the rest of the day.
Also the little song off the movie “Annie”, “The sun will come out tomorrow” 🎶 will get into my head and ill sing it all day. Ooops. Yes, Now ill be singing it....
Ive lost some hearing in my left ear due to this Tenitius. Sometimes its rather nice but other times its annoying and I can get grumpy easily by not understanding some words.

Off to work
Lisa

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Thanks for reminder a great old song that used to be one of my favorites. Haven't heard it in years. There are many of the old classics that are my favorites. I will get a song in my head and it will stay there for days. I hum more than I sing and can't whistle well at all. I love to sing but the voice isn't what it used to be. So glad you were able to get the implants. It is blessing indeed to be able to hear.

Jean said...

Go ahead whistle Jack I'm sure the one's looking and smiling liked it and thought what a happy guy. I've heard many men in stores humming I can't whistle, but by the way I can't sing either. My brothers use to whistle all the time, loved it.

Rick Watson said...

That's a great song. I take those journeys all the time.
I get brain worms sometimes of old songs and I hum them until I want to scream :)

Dar said...

I loved this whistling entry and all the comments. I get a lot of the songs my Daddy used to sing stuck in my head. It's like he's right here just singin' away. One of my brothers is an awesome whistler. I cannot compete tho I do love to whistle while I work. lol I do understand about the hearing issue with whistling. Sometimes it sounds harsh to me.
love n' hugs from up north. It's getting colder every day. Stay warm down there for me.