Wednesday, April 28, 2021

 Ghosts and old buildings

Memorable Hearses  Past:

 


For today:

When I was about3-4 years old I was supposed to spend the night with Uncle Oscar and Aunt Ruby. They lived about one block from us. I woke up in the middle of the night and decided to go home. I crossed one street to get home and on that corner was an old abandoned church.                            Of course no one locked their doors back then and I went on in. Going in I woke mama, I told her I had walked home by myself She asked me if I was scared walking back by myself?  I said ‘No, except when I passed the ‘hainted church’.’

Carothers Funeral Home built nice brick building in Belmont. They were very successful in business for about 40-50 years, then closed and never reopened in Belmont.

Leaving a very nice large brick building with a large parking lot. As a builder I speculated that someone would buy the building and break it up into apartments or someone would choose it for an assisted living unit. BUT it remained on the market for probably 6-8 years (maybe more).

I have heard folks say I would not live in that building. I have asked those folk if they believed in ghosts, NO……….. but so many dead bodies were there, my uncles and aunts were lay in-state there. TOO many memories in that place.

Now someone has bought it, completely remodeling it, even painted the beautiful brick.

I did not think folks would hold it against the building, but evidently they do.  This group who bought it are planning to rent office space, that might work, but then that might not either.

I am sure in every town there are locations that have been café’s, bike shops, etc. but every business has gone belly up. I heard a realtor say once those are ‘SNAKE BIT PROPERTIES’. I hope this old funeral home is NOT. Someone will lose a lot of money if it does not make a go of it.

Do you believe a building can be possessed or haunted?

NiteShipslog

11 comments:

betty said...

Up in Billings when we lived there, we went to a Mongolian Restaurant that we really enjoyed. Found out beforehand (can't remember which order) it had been a Pizza Hut and a crematorium. Never bothered me eating there :)

What a great story you can remember from so young! Nowadays it would be so unsafe to do so but back in "gentler" times I'm sure it was an adventure for you.

betty

Glenda said...

No, I don't believe in haunted houses, however I have an open mind and will continue to love you even though we do not always agree! ijs, your posts are a pleasure and we can always agree to disagree AND still love each other! Warm hugs from Chobee, and a g'nite from this 71 year old gal who spent the day "REDDING UP" the yard for an appraiser, who will take 87 photos, arduous but necessary!

Chatty Crone said...

No, I don't believe in haunted houses either.
That motorcycle with the coffin side car was amazing!

Unknown said...

I most definitely believe in spirits visiting. We have someone who comes around quite often. Don't know if it's a relative or a stranger but things in our house get moved around, we hear noises, and most definitely feel a presence. Both my husband and I have experienced all these things over the years and just a couple of days ago I felt was someone in our living room. Can't really explain it, you just know.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Ghosts are mentioned in the Bible.

God bless.

Mevely317 said...

Ummmm, not possessed exactly. (Tho' sometimes I'd love to fantasize otherwise!)
But 'snake-bit'? Yep. Both in Florida and Arizona we've been witness to start-ups that looked promising and for no discernable reason, never took off. Then, there was the famous Mexican restaurant near my Phoenix workplace -- everyone said it served the best, but on both the 2 occasions we had to visit, Tom and I found it VERY disappointing. Run-down, too. I think most of the draw, the intrigue was it belonged to some old C/W star who'd died there. (Can't think of his name right now.) Even Tom's son-in-law refused to eat there because of that.

Mevely317 said...

PS - Just remembered. It was Tom Mix.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I don'r think ir would bother me to work there. But I wouldn't want to be there alone. I wouldn't stay late working by myself there. We can only hope all the ghosts are friendly.

Woody said...

Seems there are too many Old, Empty, big buildings, we have one here in Deferiet that is dangerous and unsafe but nothing will happen to it due to the huge cost !! Inever liked to see Brick Buildings Painted,, Brick needs to Breathe and is porus and will build up moisture and the paint does not stick long, Even Masonary Paint on Brick does not last! Glad you got to go check out Newer Hiking Items, We are now calming down an right now looks like 3 days of Rain, Doesn't look good for Fishing ! Time for Ice Creme !!!! Sending down Love from wet an dreary North, Gary an Anna Mae

Anne Robinson said...

I'm not a believer in ghosts. I often think when people believe spirits move around, perhaps they are hopeful a loved one is still with them. They always are, in our hearts at least. Lots of businesses going under everyday. Here the downtown area of Denver is a disaster from the rioting and violence last summer. They want to clean it up for the All Star Game they took away from Atlanta. My hubby works downtown so he is not a fan of these major events. Plus the crime, something the PC govt. cares nothing about. We lived in a house many years ago where there was an abandoned church in the neighborhood. The kids were at an age that they went investigating with their friends. They said it was eerie, lots of church things left behind and kind of creepy because they went in the dark. Someone told them it was haunted but all they saw in there with their flashlight was a large portrait of Jesus. It has since been demolished. We once visited the home where Stephen Foster wrote My Old Kentucky Home. There was the story behind it saying it had a ghost. All I know was I was a young teen and was fascinated by the beauty of the old house. Ghosts stories were fun when we were young kids. My husband will still make me laugh about different ones. Your classics are always so fun and the previous one, I think many of us feel that way some days. Take care and have a wonderful weekend.

Lisa said...

I’m not sure I believe in ghost. I think there are spirits (if that is the same thing) but I do not believe in “Haunted” ghost that hurt people. First I think a soul that goes to hell would never be able to leave and a soul in heaven would want to stay there so I’m in the air on that one.
It’s fun to think scary sometimes and relieving to think a loved one is near.

Boo!
Lisa