Saturday, June 19, 2021

Father’s Day

 Cars of importance:

1941 Chevy The car dad had when I was a kid in the early 40's:


 
For today:

Not even thinking of Father’s day, I thought of my dad today. I was repairing the deck on the rental and it just came to me. Daddy would joke about his sawing and measuring.  Keep in mind my daddy never used a power saw. He did use Cross cut saws and hand saws. He told me many times, “I cut a board three times and it was still too short!”, then he would laugh. One thing my dad could do was laugh. He has at times had to roll on the floor he would laugh so hard. I always thought my dad could do anything. I watched him work on 5 or 6 churches. Either by himself or with volunteers. Dad was a farmer, laborer, explosive expert, cotton mill worker and preacher.

I had a man who knew dad in his 20s that said dad was so good with dynamite in the Quarry he could stack giant rocks.


(Dad on WABZ, Albemarle)


That was my dad, Franklin Benjamin Darnell, I did not know he was named for the oldest of the James Brothers, Frank, until later in life.

 

Sherry’s dad, Wiley Aaron Harris was as different from my dad as night and day. He lived in one town all his life. He spent his life as a cotton Mill worker from the age of about 10. A very handsome man, he was a dedicated father and husband.

He never had a family car. They walked to work, town, church and grocery stores. They carried the groceries home, if they could not be delivered.

Father’s day, I could never hope to be the dad my dad was, I respected and loved that man. Our denomination pastors are chosen by preference ballots, not one vote was ever cast against dad in his over 50 years as pastor.

Nite Shipslog

7 comments:

betty said...

Happy Father's Day, Jack!

Lovely tribute to your dad and Sherry's dad. I can't remember (senior moment here) if I ever saw a picture of Sherry's dad before. Handsome man and I can see Sherry in him.

Hoping you get some spoiling in for Father's Day!

betty

Woody said...

Nice Tributes, Happy Fathers Day Jack !!!!

Gary

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Thank you Jack. A wonderful tributes to one's parents.

God bless you and your family.

Mevely317 said...

Wonderful tributes, my friend! I didn't realize your father worked with explosives. Calm, careful hands!
I've no doubt both of these gentlemen are looking down at your with hearts filled with pride.
Happy Father's Day!

Chatty Crone said...

Happy Father's Day!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

You and Sherry both had handsome men for fathers. Both dedicated family men. Hope you are enjoying your special day! I'm sure your dad would be very proud of you. You are a wonderful Dad too.

Lisa said...

Great Fathers Day Tribute. They were two good men.
Lisa