Sunday, June 20, 2021

Thankful

 Cars of importance to someone:

 1948 Chevy dad bought me in 1955.

There is one guy still around who remembers that I got a ticket for loud mufflers and also wrecked it, he reminds me often.

NOTICE:  Before my entry I want to show you what my daughter in law gave me. She gave me this hand made card for Father's day (and a big gift!).  WE had a family dinner catered by Olive Garden. 
                             Now the card:
The card
                              Start to open

Open and I have a '48 Ford Truck.
Thanks Corrine, you are the best!


For today:

I am one thankful Dad.  At present I have two fine sons.  They have absolutely wonderful families. They have blessed me (us) with marvelous Grand Children, who in turn have blessed us with Great Grands.

Above is Jack Jr and me on another Father's day.
Son Mark and I on one of his trips up from Florida.

I have shown this picture several times, our last day on our Utah trip. More have been added since then. LOL

It is a wonder God has blessed me this much. I don’t even remember why I was smart mouthing dad, BUT all of a sudden he cut me where it hurt when he said, “You are the only one of my children who ever sassed or talked back to me.”  That really hurt, I learned something and I never again hurt my dad like that.

Dad had only a 3rd grade formal education. He had to become a full time farm hand at 9 years of age. He was self-educated. He TRIED to instill in me the importance of an education.

I saw my dad as successful. He was friends with everyone and very happy with his life. I thought, “If he can do this with a 3rd grade education, why do I need HS and college?”

I am very fortunate that by luck, blessings and tenacity, I was able to become successful in my own right, but it would have been much easier if I had taken his sage advice.

You see, HE KNEW THINGS THAT I DID NOT. He had been there.  I have no doubt of his destination after his death at 69.  I hope at least I can follow the foot prints he made on that journey to his God, rewards and His Blessings.

Nite Shipslog

6 comments:

Mevely317 said...

What a great card, Jack! You say that's homemade? Wow.
So glad to hear y'all enjoyed a nice Father's Day -- as ever, this reader enjoyed your photos.

BTW, years after the fact I'm still beating myself up about something my mother observed (about my behavior). Funny the little things we remember. I'm sure he'd be enormously proud of you.

betty said...

That is a cute card! So very clever! And dinner from the Olive Garden! Double blessings!! Your parents were two very special people and I think they passed some of that specialness on to you as Sherry's parents did to her! Glad Father's Day was a great one for you!

betty

Victor S E Moubarak said...

This is yet another wonderful post about your family. Thank you so much, Jack. May God bless you and your family always. You're a great Dad I'm sure.

God bless.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

You do have a wonderful family and I enjoyed the pictures. Everyone smiling and happy. Glad you had such a wonderful Father's Day. That card is spectacular !!

Lisa said...

I love that card!
Sweet memories of your dad.
It makes me smile knowing you had a wonderful Fathers day

Lisa

Dar said...

Jack and Sherry, you are truly blessed all these years with strong love and dedication to your family. It always shows. Your dads were blessed as well, making honorable and sincerely loved kids as you two. Our dads also made the best with what life offered them and we were always taught the same. Life has been thankful. Father's Day this year, also marked my Mom's 92nd birthday. Many of us celebrated with her at the farm where she still resides happily tending her chickens and gardens, but first with morning coffee in the gazebo. Happy belated Father's Day, Jack. You're the best.
loven'hugs from up north where I still wish to own one of those awesome 50's Chevy trucks. The search continues...