Monday, June 28, 2021

Looking forward to the Fourth

 Cars of importance to someone:

For today:

When I was a kid I looked forward to being old enough to ‘shoot firecrackers’.  When I was about 8 yrs old, our great state of North Carolina outlawed firecrackers. They could not be sold nor exploded by John or Mary Doe, it had to be a supervised show attended by firemen or other officials. I and my friends were so disappointed.

South Carolina, however, fireworks were still legal. My Uncle Irvin owned a country store and restaurant. He sold firecrackers there.

When we would visit he would take a roll of a hundred firecrackers and nail them on a power pole or tree and set them all off, WHAT A SHOW!

My dad never brought firecrackers back into NC, but friends did. They would sneak and shoot them and run like the dickens.

I still like fireworks, but of course I like them when it is a giant display like city or county. WE have been fortunate a couple times to see the Fourth and New year’s display’s in Washington DC.

We will probably watch our home town display from our church parking lot, it is a great place to see the whole thing.

Do you enjoy fireworks on special days?

 

Nite Shipslog

8 comments:

betty said...

I do like fireworks but haven't seen a public show of them in a few years. Koda's last years he was absolutely terrified of the illegal fireworks that went on all around us so we took to staying home on the 4th, then when we ended up in Phoenix it always seemed to be so hot to go out and watch them. Now with Winslow, we've just stay home and enjoy watching displays on the evening news when they show them :)

betty

Unknown said...

I remember back in the 1970's when we were kids's my cousins and I were at our grandparents house. My cousin had jammed about 30 little firecrackers in her jeans pockets and kinda forgot they were there. Well until the friction from walking etc. caused one to ignite the other. We heard a pop, pop, pop one after the other and realized they were going off. When she realized what was happening she had no choice but to pull her jeans off in front of everyone. To this day she has a giant burn scar on her thigh.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I do love to watch the fireworks and consider them to be a part of the 4th of July. My neighbors however have been firing them off since Memorial Day. They wait till I'm in bed and keep me awake with the all the noise. It'll probably go on until Labor Day or whenever they run out. I heard there was a shortage of fireworks this year . Like so many other things that are hard to find. Hope you have a Happy 4th anjoy your fireworks!

yaya said...

I enjoy the fireworks but not when my neighbors shoot them off at all hours of the early morning! We're going to Chicago and will watch them in my sister's neighborhood. I'm looking forward to that!

Mevely317 said...

Given pyrotechnics' absurd cost and (that) they terrify our dogs, I'm not so much a fan. Give me a sparkler any day and I'm a happy camper.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Organised displays are best. We have them on 5 November and New Year's Eve.

God bless.

Dar said...

As kids our fireworks ended at sparklers but we sure loved them. Then the real show was going to town to the atheletic field where the fire dept. would put on a spectacular display. Still today, they do it but now we listen from the deck and can even see the highest ones above the trees. We always would start them off while camping too, over the lake, until it became illegal. Enjoy your 4th of July, our Independence Day. It's a great thing.
loven'hugs from up north where we are smiling with the garden rain we've been getting. I believe our gardens will make it now.

Lisa said...

I like fireworks but not the same as when i was a kid. I enjoy all the festivities leading up to them though.
We enjoy watching neighbors shoot them off illegally.
Lisa