Thursday, June 24, 2021

Is it your fault? Are you Responsible?

 Cars of importance to someone:

 Someone is responsible for this!  LOL


For today:

RESPONSIBILITY! I saw the news on the net today of a Condo collapse in the Miami area.  WHAT A TRADGEDY!

The picture looks like the Federal Building in OK City. that Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nichols blew up. They were responsible for that incident,

When I was building the roof over our indoor pool and the beam expanse was more than normal.  I knew a stamp was required. The framing inspector had inspected many of my homes with no problem. He said to me, “That beam looks good, I should require an architectural stamp on it, but since this is going to be YOUR personal home I am going to TRUST you. I will approve it.

I have thought many times of that trusting inspector. He put his reputation and job on the line for me.  I had NO DOUBT about the beam, but when I see a collapse like this latest, I think, “Someone is RESPONSIBLE, and ultimately it is the inspector’s duty to check the building to ensure it meets standards required. Most likely someone will pay dearly. The plans will be pulled from a file. Inspectors will check the Foundation on the drawings and what is actually there. Then the other structural requirements. Inspector’s names are recorded that approved the progress of the building.

Somewhere architects, contractors, subs, materials suppliers are sweating, did I cover all the bases? Did I miss something?

Look at all the building going on. Inspectors are pushed to the limits to see every building going up. I remember as a builder, I would be upset when calling for an inspection and get the answer, “Jack, we are swamped, it will be 4 days before we can get to you.”

AW Tom, come on man, I have my drywall guys waiting. If you don’t see it today, I will be delayed on this house another week!”

Now looking back, when I see something like this, it hits me, “RESPONSIBILITY!”

That word applies to all of us.  What parent has not thought of their responsibility to teach that child right from wrong?

WE try to do our best in raising a child. If he/she decides to sell drugs, rob a bank or steal a car is that our fault? Very seldom is actually the parent’s fault, however when I read of a kid robbing a store or bank and their name is front page, I think of a broken hearted mama and daddy. They know some of their friends will say they are responsible…

RESPOSIBILITY …………. Most of us take that seriously.

Nite Shipslog

Now smile, some failures are obvious:

Weren't we supposed to meet?
The first step is a long one!

These steps are gonna be hard to go down or up!

7 comments:

yaya said...

I take responsibility very seriously. Working in surgery means being totally honest when you accidentally contaminate a surgical table even if it meant tearing down the whole table and getting a new sterile setup. A cost the hospital would eat but if any of my patients would get an infection I would take that as totally my fault. Accidents happen but that building has something wrong somewhere. I'm sure there's someone sweating bullets today. Prayers for the victims.

Mevely317 said...

What a thought-provoking post, Jack! You being a builder, this disaster had to be stirring. Maybe on account I fear flying, I always get to wondering about those fellows responsible for maintenance on all the aircraft's nooks and crannies. I always pray someone isn't hung over or just had a row with his wife. Distracted, ya know?

betty said...

Such a tragedy down in Miami! I can't even imagine. Everyone should take responsibility for their actions, but some professions more so than others, i.e. health, building, car manufacturing and the like.

betty

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Very thought-provoking post. I'm praying for all involved; and for you and Sherry.

God bless.

Lisa said...

It was built 40 years ago. I wonder if it was the structure that gave way or did the ground give way? It is a mystery and I hope they find all the people that went down with it. Hopefully most were gone to work that day. I pray for all involved.

Off to work
Lisa

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I'd hate to be the one for taking responsibility for that tragedy. I don't know how anyone could live with that. Certainly someone messed up. Hope they can find out so it doesn't happen to anyone else.

Dar said...

Being responsible for ones actions can be so costly...lives lost like the tragedy in FL. Our biggest responsibility has been in rearing 5 kids...they will test you and you better be ready to correct them when they think they're right when they're wrong. God puts us all in compromising situations so we learn and also learn to lean on Him. He's always been there for us. Yes, responsibility in tragic situations can be a very hard pill to swallow. My prayers for the families loosing loved ones. Let's pray the responsible one was nature itself and not man.
loven'hugs from up north where we celebrated Sy's graduation yesterday feeling very proud for the Grandlove he's become. He's off to a new chapter.