Saturday, October 23, 2021

Life and Religion

 Memorable car of the day:

This Ford was new in 1903 the year my dad was born.


For today:

Growing up I attended church enough that I thought I should get a “Get into Heaven Free’ Card, like a ‘Get out Jail Free’ card in the game of “Monopoly.”

I could not claim sickness to miss the Revival Meetings, Dad believed in divine healing and I was prayed over, and ordered to church. A Preacher’s kid could not miss church, what kind of message would that send to the parishioners.  LOL

We have a great country with many religious denominations. We have differences. But the object is conversion methinks.

I have a former shipmate and dear friend I have mentioned here on the Shipslog. Frank M. whom I thought was Catholic, but learned he is a Protodeacon with the Orthodox Church. A great guy and always has been since we met. I will not doubt his love for our Lord.

I had a supervisor, the leading Chief in Naval Intel School where I taught, Chief Dan D. who married a beautiful young lady named Joan who was Catholic, so he converted. His sweet Joan now has Alzheimer’s and he still loves her dearly. He is one of the best men I have ever known. I have no doubt he is a Christian.

Sunday morning Broadcast once his Radio Program was remote from the Church.

My dad was a fundamentalist, a conservative and Pentecostal. One of the most dedicated men that I knew. He would have loved both men I have mentioned. I have been reading some of Victor Moubarak’s stuff. His leading character in fiction is Father Ignatius.

As I read about this Catholic Priest, I actually see my dad. Both come from poor families. Both dedicated to our Lord and both facing the same problems in their ‘sheep.’ Methinks Victor is a Priest in secret. LOL

I must go. I have important things to do. I need to get some 12/2 electric wire for Grandson Luke who is installing H/AC in his house today. We then will head up the road to GGrand Stella's ball game in Cornelius, NC. 

We have things to do!

 NiteShipslog

8 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It's a good thing there are so many different religions and churches to go to. I don't think God wanted to take a chance of missing even just one of us. All it takes is believing I think. Have fun at the game and enjoy your day ! Love and hugs from Ohio!

NanaDiana said...

It's amazing all the different religions and I especially like the ones that think they are the ONLY ones that will go to heaven. Wonder if God will have separate rooms so they don't know others are there? lol

My hubby was Catholic and converted so he could preach. Life is full of surprises!

Enjoy your busy day! xo Diana

Mevely317 said...

LOL-ing about NanaDiana's 'separate rooms' comment. Hey, I wouldn't be surprised! I remember my mother and dad speaking in hushed tones about Cousin Elsie 'having to convert' to Roman Catholicism ... Cousin Sue's new baby being given a 'Jewish name' (Nathanial). Even in their chosen church (Lutheran) they didn't much care for my Aunt's preferred synod. I, too, love my new folk hero, Ft. Ignatius!

Isn't it a great feeling to have things to do, people to see? Enjoy your day!

Glenda said...

It always makes me smile when I see photos of your Dad. Your parents were iconic in our lives. Will never forget how Mama was so thrilled to meet them, and awed that they filled up the car with a ton of stuff and held a yard sale to benefit your pastorage in Moberly. Your stories take me back so many years. Lotsa love from Chobee, Glenda

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Thank you so much for your mention here, Jack; and for your very kind and generous review on AMAZON of my book "Take Care Of My Sheep".

I am no priest, I assure you. It is good that there are so many denominations. As long as they all love God and Jesus; I am sure God smiles on them

God bless.

Lisa said...

Sounds like great men. Reading about your dad, reminds me of mine.
I am baptist and growing up, we could not miss church either. My dad was and still is a deacon of the same church.
However, Its not the religion that gets you into heaven, It’s knowing Christ and accepting him as your personal savor. They Bible tells me so.

Happy Sunday.
Lisa

yaya said...

It's good to be busy with places to go and people to see Jack! I know many folks of different religions and thankfully most are wonderful people. I used to be Catholic and when I converted to Mormon my Mom was not happy. However, over the years she came to realize we all love the same God and being a good person is important. I never forgot lessons my folks taught me and going to Church weekly was something we always did. I enjoy doing that still! So have a wonderful Sunday with your honey and have a good week too!

Dar said...

So many thoughts, so many religions, but still all of us love our Lord and Savior as HE wants us to. Knowing and loving God, sharing your heart of loving Him with others, that may just help me get to HIS side someday. It's all up to Him, isn't it. I love that you had some family time today.
loven'hugs from our northcentral WI where today marks the 14th year my Dad has been with our Lord, I'm sure of it. Dad was a remarkable man with a love of God as strong as he could muster. We miss his dear sweet smile and heart sooo much. God bless you and your sweet Sherry