Thursday, October 7, 2021

Old Folks , Doctors Appts, & places visited as a kid

Concept car of the day:

 


For today:

Sherry and I have had more Doctors appointments this summer than ever before. We must be getting older and making a history we can brag about things to all the other older people (Like Don and Evelyn.) LOL

When we had dinner together the other Don was bragging that he had washed HALF of his RV. I haven’t gotten that far yet. ;-)……

(I don't remember having company but it sure woulda been extra fun)

I did sit in the driver’s seat and imagined I was on the road, it was almost like playing  at uncle Oscar’s junk yard. One of my favorite places as a kid when I could sit in the wrecks and ‘Plike’** I was driving around curves in the mountains. Most of the time the visits to Oscar’s Garage and Junk Yard down in Laurens, SC, were NEVER long enough for me; I loved a junk yard.

Fun in a Junk Yard.

** ‘Plike’  was my language for ‘Play like’)  

Family visits to Uncle Irvin’s store and Uncle Oscar’s Junkyard were HIGH on my ‘Like List.’

I coulda drove this old Caddy to Hollywood!

Going to Uncle Clyde and Aunt Ruby’s house was the lowest on my list, they had no kids and she collected salt and pepper shakers. I ‘think’ there were thousands of them. There were even car salt and pepper shakers, BUT I COULD NOT touch them. (Not sure it that was Ruby or mama’s rule).

Was there a special place or someone Kin that you LOVED to visit as a child?

NiteShipslog

PS: Remembering Covid!

4 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

As a kid I loved to visit my grand parents farm. I was a city girl and everything was new and exciting adventure to me. They had a creek to go swimming in and swinging bridges went across the creek. I would sit on them and go fishing. Even a trip to the outhouse could be an adventure in itself.

It's good to have great memories like yours and the junk yard. It's like reliving child hood.

Mevely317 said...

Ah, now you're giving me ideas, Jack! As a little girl, I loved nothing more than getting on the train and travelling with mother to her folk's farm in SW Minnesota. My grandfather usually 'borrowed' a horse for his pony-loving granddaughter -- and I just loved hanging out the barn with the cows and all its particular 'aromas.' To this day, however, I still feel guilty for hiding in the grain silo while my mother called and called, scared to pieces I'd fallen on harm.

That airplane 'toon' is so funny!

yaya said...

My Dad bought a house for my Grandparents in Wisconsin by a lake. We would go up on weekends and help with yard work and house things but us kiddos would be down at the lake playing and that's where I learned to swim. My Grandma was a fabulous baker and I loved her donuts and cream puffs! I would go up in the summer and stay for a week at a time with the excuse to be a helper to my Grandparents but really it was my fun place to bike ride and be by the lake. My Grandma also collected dolls and would give me a barbie knockoff and make the clothes for her. I loved those days.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Such lovely memories of your childhood. I used to love playing hide-and-seek with my parents. I shut my eyes and counted to 100 then I looked for them all over Europe, or Australia or ...

Keep smiling Jack and Sherry. God bless.