Monday, October 11, 2021

See Rock City

 Truck of the day:

 

For today: 

Growing up and listening to the radio I can remember certain things that stuck like glue:

“You will wonder where the yellow when, when you brush your teeth with Pepsodent!”

“From out of the past come the hoof beats of the Great Horse Silver, The Lone Ranger Ride’s AGAIN!……”

Advertisement ditties were all over, but some hit the mark for the Public Relations crews!

IF you are old and from Gaston County you would recognize the Schneider Department Store ditty in a second, It was catchy and everybody knew it: “Let’s go to Schneider’s, Buy your Family clothes at Schneider's, 338 West Main Avenue in the middle of the Block, OK let's ……….

Then there was “Tide’s In….Dirt’s Out!”

But if you grew up on the east coast of the USA you had to see barns painted, YELLING, SEE ROCK CITY!


I think 90% of travelers love barns. Whoever came up with that idea hit the nail on the head.

I do not know if the state paid or folks just volunteered, but I was thrilled to see the many barns in Ohio pointing out their Bi-Centennial. Loved it:

We saw a few of these, but it didn’t have the impact of the other barn ads.

.

But SEE ROCK CITY was the most successful of all the ads I remember as a kid, but we did travel a lot.

Of course we have visited Lookout Mountain near Chattanooga, TN a few times and did Enjoy Rock City and Ruby Falls. I never saw state lines but they swore I saw 7 states from there!  LOL

 

 Remember any good ads?

NiteShipslog


2 comments:

Mevely317 said...

Oooooh ya, I started singing along to the Pepsodent ad (in my head)! How about, "Plop, plop, fizz, fizz ... oh, what a relief it is!" I don't think advertising jingles aren't as clever as what I remember -- but then old age and cynicism have crept in.

Remember the Burma Shave road signs? Daddy, mother and I'd all sit up and say them outloud. Now I'm wondering why, in all their travels, my parents never took me to Rock City. Looks like a majestic view, for sure.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Every now and then you still see an old building in the UK and on the brick walls are painted adverts - not paper posters stuck on, but the walls actually painted.

Did you ever have in the US the TV advert for Coca Cola with people singing, "I'd like to teach the world to sing?" It was very popular in the UK in the 70s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib-Qiyklq-Q

God bless.