Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas trees

There is something  about a live Christmas tree that does a little more to light the Christmas fire.  I am speaking again from memories because it has been probably 40 years since we had a live tree.  Well maybe not that long, but the one I remember last was that long ago.

moscow

Moscow

I read Dars Stuffings and her going with her mom to get the perfect Christmas tree. That brings back the times of going with my dad to cut two trees. One for the church and one for the house. Then he  just looked for a nice cedar. Once it was snowing, that was in Albemarle about 1949. It was beautiful.  Then home with them tied on top of the car. Dad always took a sharp axe to cut the tree. He hadn’t always been a Preacher, he could swing an axe.

st peters rome

St. Peters, ROME

Then back home to make a stand; sawing and nailing braces to the tree. He always had a rough time getting it as straight as he wanted it. But he finally succeeded. Once it was straight, the cotton was rolled out under the tree. (Now we use sheets) Back then decorations weren’t much. But no one expected what you see today. No matter what it looked like, it was accepted, it was THE CHRISTMAS TREE.

portugalspain

Portugal                                                                  Spain

I think we lived in Rutherfordton, NC. I waited until most of the trees were gone and what was left were the ‘bad looking give-away ones’.  I thanked God for Charlie Brown, because what we bought (for a dollar) was a scraggly tree, Jackie was about 5. We got excited about the Charlie Brown tree, it was probably our best decorating time, helping the tree look happy.

arlington

(Arlington)

I hope you are happy with your tree. Artificial or real, sheets or cotton beneath, Many or a few presents, it doesn’t matter; It is Christmas.

MERRY CHRISTMAS, And thanks for coming by the log.

Nite Shipslog

PS:

When hungry, eat your rice; when tired, close your eyes. Fools may laugh at me, but wise men will know what I mean.

—Lin-Chi

***************************************************

At least one person reading this would like to have this for Christmas:

vette

14 comments:

Paula said...

The last tree I decorated was when we lived on the ranch. I went all out with cowboy boots, hats, and everything western with red chili pepper lights. We hardly looked at that tree as we seldom went into the living room. Spent our time in the big country kitchen. Finally gave the tree and all the decorations away. I'm such a scrooge but I do remember the meaning of Christmas.

Jean said...

Jack and Sherry, Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year to you!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Thanks for sharing those wonderful memories. I know I've never seen a Christmas tree that wasn't just beautiful Merry Christmas to you both from my house to yours! Love and Hugs from Ohio!

BlueRidge Boomer said...

Misskitty wants to climb the big tree...soooo...this year we're doing the 3 footer again....
Merry Christmas....Linda & the Gang

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah on the 'vette! Beautiful machine! Never met an ugly Christmas tree! You and wife have a Merry Christmas!

Ken Riches said...

We do an artificial tree, not that we could not find one on our property to cut. If you keep them long enough, they are more environmentally friendly. Of course, if the tree is local and sustainable, then that is the best of both worlds.

Merry Christmas to you!

Bookncoffee said...

Haven't had a live tree since I was a kid. Merry Christmas to you both.

Louis la Vache said...

What a fine Christmas post!

«Louis», being an "old car nut", likes the red 'vette, too!

Louis la Vache said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Louis la Vache said...

Psalm 40

Anonymous said...

I like a real tree too because we always had a cedar tree when I was a kid.
The tree we are using this year is a cedar that grew in the yard. My son and I kept it pruned to a good shape.
One year I cut the top out of our variegated Leyland cypress. That was one wild Christmas tree!

TARYTERRE said...

Oh my your stories about the Christmas tree reminded me of my father. All that sawing and nailing braces and cutting off extra limbs to tie in place someplace else. And then getting it straight. Thanks for the memories Jack. I have so enjoyed my time here visiting your blog. I LOVE hearing about your adventures with the RV. And I so appreciate the comments you leave on both of mine. From my home to yours... I want to wish you And Sherry a very MERRY CHRISTMAS. Enjoy. Take care.

Rose said...

Love this entry. The photos of all the lovely trees.......enchanting.

Artificial trees are my choice.

Merry Christmas to my favorite couple!

Hugs, Rose

Lucy said...

I would gladly take that car. Their were wreaths like that on the oldest graves in the soldiers circle where Alan was laid to rest. Yes Jack it is a Christmas tree if it is cut and in your home at Christmas time. Doesn't mater how scraggly it looked to someone else, to us it was beautiful.