Tuesday, January 5, 2016

“The last American Brickmaker”

A movie, “The last American Brickmaker”

I cannot tell you how long it has been since I watched a movie before this week. Our friend Evelyn loaned Sherry a movie. It was “The Last American Brickmaker”, starring Sidney Poitier.


It is a simple movie. Straight forward a great tale.  Just a good story of a passing skill that is being replaced by automation.

I must warn you there were several places I did feel a tear run down my cheek.  I could remember back to my old friend Vondale’s dad.  I learned building under him. He was from the old school, one of the best men I have ever known. He was honest, hardworking and delivered a solid house for a reasonable price. I am not sure if Luke ever used or saw a written contract, his agreements were sealed by a handshake.

It is also the story of a man against the machine, to make 22,000 brick in a short time.


I learned to love the smell of wood. Appreciate its strength and character.  All thru this movie, although it was about brick, I could see Luke Tucker in the character and related it to wood.

didn't know if the movie was old or new. But it was filmed close to Don and Evelyn’s home. I just checked it was 2001.






Oh, but it felt good to watch a movie without it flipping around constantly and everything happening at the speed of light.  I had to stand 2 feet from the TV screen, but I really did enjoy a good story.

Nite Shipslog

PS: We are on the road as you  read this probably. 

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>


Above is the beautiful 1958 Chevy.

This is a Studebaker truck from the 40's. Mr Cobb drove a Green International stake bed truck, about this year in the movie. 

7 comments:

Lisa said...

I wish honesty and trust was as simple to come by these days where a deal could still be sealed with a handshake.

Travel safe
Lisa

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I love a good movie and that might just be one I'd like too. Hope you have safe travels and let us know where you've landed.

betty said...

I have not seen this or heard of it, but definitely want to check it out. Glad you were able to enjoy it too Jack! Safe travels!

betty

shirl72 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Paula said...

Like that old red truck. Stay safe!

Mevely317 said...

I'm happy to see this .. just when I was at a loss to identify any videos worth watching. Thanks for the recommendation!

Rick Watson said...

I haven't seen this movie but it sounds like one I'd like. I think we need more handmade stuff.
Y'all travel safe Jack.