Sunday, October 23, 2022

HARD and BIG Trees

That Car:

Colette was an Elvis Fan. SO on this trip we had to stop in Memphis and visit Graceland. Sherry and Colette in Elvis's Jeep.



For today

We living on the East Coast have seen pictures of trees large enough for cars to drive thru the base. In 1983 we decided to take a trip out west to see some of those fascinating things we had only witnessed in pictures.

WE are very conservative (translate that as cheap), most of our travel has been in tents or pop ups.  We appreciated state and federal parks. We have stayed in hotels and motels, but very seldom.

Sherry arranged time off, her sister Colette and Sonny her hubby arranged time and we headed out for a shared adventure, towing our fold out camper. We saw a lot of sights. A few Sherry & I had already visited, but Colette and Sonny had never traveled.

Sonny and I had spent much of our lives around trees and working in wood.  We both wanted a trip thru the Petrified Forest. After many sights across country in Arizona we saw MANY fallen petrified trees:

 

Then we went on into California and made our first stop to see for our selves a REALLY BIG tree.  Until then The biggest tree Sonny or I had ever seen was his Oak tree that was 6’ thru. We thought it was BIG,  BUT:

 

 We learned this is BIG!  Well big and beautiful…

Nature is beautiful, interesting and a teacher.

Life is Good!

 

NiteShipslog

PS:  Dang, 1983 does and doesn't seem that far back,, What?

 

7 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

I have heard of those tees in California - I bet they were amazing.
Love that hair - my mom used to wear it high and out like that. lol

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Nature is amazing. If that tree could talk ...

God bless always.

Susan Kane said...

1983! Love the photos! Wait, wasn't this just last week?
We went to Yosemite with our gr-daughters and were again amazed by God's creation!

Mevely317 said...

Pretty amazing, isn't it? I love how you made it a point to travel to those destinations that piqued your curiosity!

yaya said...

I've been out west more than a few times but have never been to see the redwoods. It's on the list! Yes, the 80's doesn't seem too far away until I look at my youngest boys who were born in 1980 and then 84 and see their gray hair! Then it seems a long time away! When I was a kiddo we traveled the country pulling a pop up camper...boy, I loved that camper! Good memories!

betty said...

It has been sad but with some of our recent monsoons, the local park has lost some of their tall trees. Lots of birds have been misplaced :( Trees truly are wonderful to look at and spend time under :)

betty

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Nature is truly beautiful and amazing ! Thanks for sharing those picture, I doubt I'll ever get to see one in person. My long distance travel days are about over.