Friday, October 14, 2022

WE all have had that ‘One Thing,’ Bad or good, it was BIG

 Memorable Automobiles from The Past:

 Ahhh, that F150 what a Truck!


For today:

I know a very nice older couple.  They happen to be the grandparents (on the father's side) of one of our great granddaughters. One of our beautiful great grands is their granddaughter. The GG has two ‘half-sisters’. Since the death of their son, the kids’ father, they are not ‘allowed’ to see those other 2 grands, and it hurts.

They see and love our (and their) Stella. They do not want to go to the courts and pull those other sweet kids in two different directions.

It reminds me of that ONE THING in my life. Many years ago we had a DIL who secretly moved while our son was at work. She took our two grandchildren with her. One, Corey, not blood kin but still loved. The other, Benjamin, the first blood grandson. WE never saw them again for about 4-5 years. Broke our hearts, MINE especially because I had a special bond with Ben, the youngest.

 Ben climbng in our cabinets before he disappeared.


Most every day I would set at my desk after finishing paper work, get out a cassette player and record something to Ben. That went on for a few years.

In a few years Jack Jr. learned where Ben was and rode a motorcycle over 2,000 miles to find him and Corey. A long story shortened. A few years later I decided to assist in a legal fight for JJr to get Ben, he was visiting us in NC at the time.  Instead of flying him back, to his mother,  Ben and I drove 2000+ miles together in the motor home. On the trips he listened to the recordings.

(The next time I saw the boys they were this big. He was taken in diapers and returned about ready for school.)

While he listened, I remember Ben's words, “I can't believe you thought you would never see me again!”

Jack Jr won, but Ben did not stay in NC, his life was established in Utah. NOW a man, he is the head carpenter with a construction company. I have seen his work, the dude is good and I am so proud of him.  We have had an off and on and off relationship with his mother, sadly he has too. He does have a beautiful daughter, Elsie Mae.

But Missing him for years is a big “One Thing,”  In our lives.

NiteShipslog

PS:

7 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

I am glad you didn't lose him forever. Still, I know it is hard when they move away. I am so proud of your son to go get him!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Parents breaking up can really effect the rest of the family. I don't get to see 3 of my grandchildren because their mom has turned them against any of our family. Sadly it's been years since I've seen them. But that doesn't stop me from loving them any the less. As they get older, I keep hoping they will want to see me all on their own. I can so relate to your post.

Unknown said...

That was cruel of your daughter-in-law to take your grandsons away from the family. Just up and left huh? Cruel. I'm glad you have since re-connected and can make memories with them.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

It is so sad when children are used as pawns and bargaining chips in family disputes.

God bless you and your family, Jack.

Mevely317 said...

Ben's comment (after listening to the recordings) brought tears to my eyes.
I agree with everything said here. No matter the age! My DIL's family has been experiencing some significant strife; and unfortunately, her sisters are trying to involve my 24 and 28 y/o grand-girls. Son sent a strong warning: Say what you will about Lois and me but leave my daughters alone!

betty said...

Children need their whole families around them if possible. Parents, siblings, grandparents, cousins, aunts and uncles. It is sad when bonds are broken like this. Sometimes they can never be reestablished and everyone loses out.

betty

Dar said...

It's horrible pain when families are broken apart. We know only too well. Thank God, our grandlove is an adult now and comes around often. If only his mom remembered that God intended for families to stay together in heart.
This one touched my heart...thanks for reminding me how fortunate we are to have our grandloves in our lives again.
loven'hugs from up north where we had 3 days of snow that melted quickly.