Friday, October 14, 2022

Language, ‘Cuss’ like a Sailor…

 That Car:

 That '85 (?) Tornado The first front wheel drive in the USA methinks.



 For today:

The title makes me smile.  As a rule many military men use ‘coarse’ language, BUT it is normally confined to the base, ship or the barracks. WE were taught to never use ‘bad’ language in mixed company. I learned a lot after becoming a ‘civilian’, I have heard some terrible language in the civilian population.

I have had some that actually made me, a sailor, blush. OH YES…AND OUCH, some ladies (?) can make a sailor cringe in mixed public.

Sadly, I think, some words that were NEVER ACCEPTABLE before, are today common place.  If not common place, are used by both male and female in mixed company as ‘normal’ language.

I guess some of my thinking comes from my mama, who would swat my rear if I used ‘darn’. I had to be careful how ‘loudly’ I said ‘Shucks’.

Manners??  Did you have to ask to be excused from the dinner table?  I think I did, it must have been ingrained. If I forgot, I don’t remember being scolded for it.

Betcha our friend Woody, a cop in the USN and a cop in the civilian world, would agree on the language.

BUT THINGS DO CHANGE IN THIS WORLD!

When we walk, My Sherry, Bless her heart, (Using that old Southern cliché ) just cannot abide folks who don’t know what side of the street to walk on if there are no sidewalks.

Do you know?

Right direction (against trffic) however, ignoring custom .

Walk, run against the traffic.....

Most ‘Old Folks’ who have camped or RV’d for a while KNOW, YOU do not walk thru another’s campsite. The space is not to be violated without permission. The space has been rented and ‘BELONGS’ to the occupant.

In past years folks would not think of walking thru your site, but today it isn’t unusual.

WE, Sherry & I are sadly reaching an age where our travel will be restricted. A new generation is taking our place. They will make it, with new rules of course! We made it with the old rules.

Change WILL NOT BE STOPPED. Things will continue, life will go on. The new generation will enjoy the ‘wilder, milder outdoor life’ and I am glad. Bless ‘em, I wish I was one of them, ‘methinks.’  ;-)

 

Nite Shipslog

PS

6 comments:

Mevely317 said...

Good stuff, Jack.
Much to my mother's dismay, I remember 'learning' to cuss in the girl's dorm my freshman year of college. (A 'religious' school, at that!)
I don't think I ever crossed the line beyond d*** and s***, but you're right about what's tolerated -- even accepted these days. My last boss, a physically pretty lady, had such an ugly (vulgar) mouth. Sitting outside her office, listening to she and her 'right-hand' talk was something else. Literally, every single phrase was dotted with the 'f' word, like a punctuation mark.
I won't pretend that didn't seep into my own speech (like osmosis?), but only after I retired that was one of the things I made it a point to quit.

Chatty Crone said...

Jack I am posting about language on Monday. I can't believe what the world thinks is acceptable now. Our children are learning it for their everyday language. And then people wonder what happened to the kids of today. If the parents think it is okay then the kids feel it is okay. Kind of sad if you ask me.

betty said...

One of the ladies I work with cusses up a storm. She freely admits she does. Her young daughter knows she can't pick up those words. In fact she knows them as "only mommy words". We taught step granddaughter how to ask to be excused from the table and now grandson knows it. It is funny because he'll ask to be excused from the table before we even start eating some days (he eats on a whole different schedule than we do lol).

betty

NanaDiana said...

I hear you, Jack. I am amazed at how some BAD works have become used everyday. The F once can serve as a verb or a noun or adjective depending on how it is used. No one in the younger generation even raises an eyebrow when people use language that I find unacceptable.

The place we had our camper was kind of 'old school'. No one would ever think of walking across or into someone else's lot unless they asked or were asked to do so.

Life keeps changing, doesn't it?

Oh! And I hate when people walk or run with traffic instead of against it. Hugs- Diana

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose. Life moves on, my friend; not always in the direction or the pace we would like. The times they are a'changing.

God bless.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I cannot abide bad landquage. and thankfully those that know me refrain from using it. TV is one of the worst offenders. I don't know why we put up with it. There have been some shows I've refused to watch.