Friday, October 28, 2022

That Cactus and a DEEP Ditch!

 Today’s automobile:

Cactus on cars shots from the net.

Some thoughts for today:

The huge saguaro cactus was something we had never seen except in movies until we had a chance to head WEST. We were in Arizona methinks when we turned North. There at the turn Sonny says, “Stop Jack, I want a picture of that cactus!”  It was a giant Saguaro.

“Sonny, we will see hundreds of them and you will have plenty of chances.” I had no idea that would be the only one we would see. We were evidently too far North to see any more.  I never lived that down. LOL  He did not get his picture.

They weigh between 3,000-4,800 ls (6613-10635 kg)

In my life time I have said and done some REALLY STUPID things. Once in Texas we were walking near a lot of cactus. I decided I wanted a picture hugging one (but not touching the needles!) HA!

Sherry said, “Don’t do that jack,” I laughed. “Take the picture!” She didn’t because I was yelling. I am sure they jumped into my arms. LOL  Some have little barbs and want to stay in your skin. Lemme tell you, cacti aren’t lovers, DO NOT HUG ONE!  Yeah, I know you weren’t going to anyway. No one is that crazy! :-O

Campground about 100yards from the rim.

The Grand Canyon was on our ‘to see list.’ To be honest I wasn’t all that crazy about seeing it, what is there to see but a big ditch. Man was I ever wrong. I had no idea what GRANDE was. 

North Carolina is home for Mt Mitchel just over a mile high. It is the highest peak in the Appalachian mountains. Well the Grand Canyon is over a mile deep there is a mountain in the canyon almost as tall as Mt. Mitchel and you are looking down on it. YES the Grand Canyon is impressive and if you have not seen it and get a chance, do it. We popped the tent up and stayed a few days. You can walk down to the Colorado River or even ride a donkey down.

WE only walked down a couple hundred yards.  None in our crowd wanted to see the Colorado River that badly. The long view was enough. LOL

 NiteShipslog

PS: We will never go back, but it is an awesome sight.

5 comments:

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Amazing pictures. Isn't nature wonderful. You are so fortunate to have travelled to all these places. Thank you so much, Jack, for sharing your adventures. Some cacti have fruit - prickly pears. Have you tried any? We rarely find them in the shops over here.

God bless.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Amazing and beautiful for sure. Thanks for showing the pictures !

Mevely317 said...

How I can relate! Living in the Phoenix metro so long, the Saguaro cactus (cacti?) were commonplace -- tho' it probably took me a couple years to learn the correct pronunciation! Not sure if this is true, but Tom told me it takes 100 years for it to grow ONE arm/limb!

Yep. I think everyone needs to see the Grand Canyon once in their lifetime. Even my cynical (then) 10-y/o granddaughter admitted she was wrong, having believed: "We're just going to see a big hole in the ground?"

Chatty Crone said...

Ouch to the cactus. I have been to the Grands Canyon, and you are so right - it is amazing. I don't think you can imagine it - you have to see it. I remember my mom wearing hair out like that.

betty said...

Our next door neighbor has one of those cacti in their backyard. We always wonder during a monsoon with high winds if it is going to come down and knock out our brick wall. (Several in the neighborhood have fallen during big storms). They are protected here. You can't move one without getting permission from some branch of the government. Driving up 1-17 heading north to the Grand Canyon area, there are tons of them along the side of the road. The Grand Canyon is a great place to see. Pictures of it do not do it justice.

betty